Menu
Is marriage a romantic or practical thing?
Feb 11, 2008 20:27
  • ICEBLUE
Without romance, marriage and love would become dry and withered. Marriage without romance is just like flowers without nutrients and water which could wither away. In fact, being romantic is not a difficult thing at all, but for some men it seems very difficult to learn to be romantic. It is very easy to be romantic, for instance, remember your girlgriend's birthday and your wedding anniversary day and give her a gift on that big day. Send her flowers on Valentine's Day is preferable. This is easy for men to do before marriage, but men seems to become forgetful about such things after marriage. This is the key problem.
Feb 12, 2008 03:38
GUEST7140 Girls prefer those boys who are romantic. Mature ladies prefer reliable and pragmatic men. Marriage is a more mature relationship than puppy love. It is possible that you marry someone first, then fall in love with him/her.
Feb 12, 2008 10:47
  • APAULT
As an old bloke who has been to a few 'grab a granny' dances in the past - I feel I can safely say that mature ladies also like to be romanced. :)
Feb 12, 2008 19:30
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Paul, did you work as a host in one of those singles cruise ships for seniors? ;-)

I think every man knows how to be romantic. It’s just that there are men who are afraid, ashamed or too lazy to be romantic. Some think it is beneath them or they have the idea that romance is just about jumping into bed. >_<

The problem I have with roses, etc. is that anyone can buy them and still not carry any feelings at all. It's ok as long as it's not mechanical, like just buy roses and get it over with so you can get laid. What the ---??? Roses or not, the key is sincerity. It’s a no brainer, but for some reason it seems to be too complicated for many men. There’s this joke about one guy who bought 14 sets of red roses and sent them to 14 different women with the same message, "To my one and only". O_o
Sep 7, 2009 17:13
GUEST50246 Marriage is a compatibility of trust. You marry based on what you believe will help you mutually advance. You have to trust that the person will make the best choices for you and them & vice versa.
Oct 25, 2009 10:40
GUEST10235 Am torn between the love of my life - but we belong to different country each committed to ones and different religion. After 6 years in Europe thats where I meet him, I am not back to my country because it is here I want to contribute my skills and knowledge. He went through very dreadful horrible childhood and long term relationship was out of his life until we met. The problem is he want to wait another 3-4 years for marriage, to see if he will get around to the idea. I am back in my country in Asia and hear I 've a dear friend who loves me very much. I can be very happy with him and in time I can learn to love him. He can offer all that I want material, emotional including marriage. I my heart I know I will not forget the love of my life but he can not promise me marriage.

I am torn between my love and the reality of my situation. What would you do if you were me?
Jan 6, 2010 14:10
GUEST67764 I suppose the biggest question is. If this was your last days before death what choice would you make? Who would you want to spend those days with? Someone you feel secure with? Or someone you feel deep love with?

Which memories will you remember the most as you are fading?

Often our cultures are built on necessity. The choices we make are based on attaining something practical. But in death our souls care very little for out bodies and what is practical. Or ideas of happiness. All the soul knows is what resonates with the heart and the Universe. What does the Universe tell you? If you had NO fear of not getting what you wanted who would you choose? And if you choose "the love of your life" than aren't you basically saying that you are afraid to love unconditionally?

Fundamentally you must choose between a soulful life and a safe life. Because those are built on 2 separate values.

Loving someone is NOT easy. One's love for someone is shown in their sacrifices to be with them and there for them. If you say that me must marry you to be with you...than aren't you loving him with conditions? What conditions has he put upon you? Any? Or is he willing to love you without any?

I would suggest you step outside of your culture and decide what works for your soul. And act upon that.
Jan 12, 2010 12:33
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"I my heart I know I will not forget the love of my life but he can not promise me marriage."

Classic. The thing is you don't have to forget but you can move on. And one day, you will laugh and smile when you think about it. No more bitterness or hurt. Trust me.
Jan 14, 2010 02:12
Is marriage a romantic or practical thing?

Marriage is romantic as well as practical. To sustain your marriage, you have to meet your material needs first. And women love romance. If you want to make them happy, you should let her feel romantic.
Apr 11, 2010 12:26
GUESTSARAH BLUE This post may be too old, but I will give my experience. I am from the West. Western movies are far too romantic and far too dramatic. They are less realistic than in real life. Yes, women and men are looking for a romantic and happy ending. But they are also looking for a partner that can fulfill practical life demands. I have also said goodbye to a few men because although I was happy with them I knew I could not survive real life problems (money and children).

Marriage is love AND practicality. We want it all. And that is a very hard thing to accomplish. :)
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is marriage a romantic or practical thing?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code