Menu
It is difficult for a rich person to be modest?
Feb 3, 2008 01:59
  • SUMMERSNOW
I I have been reading some English classics. Again, I chanced upon a line: "It is difficult for a rich person to be modest,or a modest person rich." It was said to be written by Epictetos, but what nationality he/she is?

Personally, I think the first part of the line tellls a truth. Once become rich, it is difficult for a rich person to be modest. However, can't a modest person become rich? What's your understanding?
Feb 3, 2008 03:20
  • AL32
Here's what I found on this:

"Epictetos, an Athenian red-figure vase painter. Essentially a painter of cups, Epictetos stands out through his elegant designs and his expressive simplicity. He worked in a crucial time in the history of Greek art, the end of the sixth and the beginning of the fifth century BC, when the painter Euphronios and his circle revolutionized the representation of the human body."

...just to show that anyone can bring up logical and phylosophical thoughts: food for the brain!!

Personally, I think that modesty is a very valuable thing to have and that it is always hard to keep..rich or poor. But it's well worth to fight for.
Feb 3, 2008 08:58
  • APAULT
Somewhere in the christian bible is a saying 'It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter heaven'. This seems to be similar to the idea expressed by Epictetos.

Despite this, it was extremist christians who triggered the industrial revolution in Britain. They held the view that their god put us on earth to work not to have fun. They worked hard and they made a lot of money. Did they get to heaven???? I won't attempt to answer that.

Feb 3, 2008 13:37
  • GRIZ326
I have met many modest rich people, but I have met them on a personal level - not in their work environment.

In my business life, I found that the confidence of the boastful brings them success sooner than more modest skillful people.

I lost much work to boastful people over the years because I do not brag about my work. Slowly, my skills were recognized in my company and my industry. Today, people who know my work understand that I deliver good work - on time. The people for whom I have worked boast of their good decision in choosing me to do their jobs. I might have been more successful and more successful sooner had I been comfortable boasting...but that is just the way that I am.

Feb 3, 2008 15:19
  • MARRIE
''it was extremist christians who triggered the industrial revolution in Britain. They held the view that their god put us on earth to work not to have fun.''

Some christians i met are going against the view that god put them one earth to work not for fun. They, although they call themselves British origin, are degeneratiing and losing the spirits that used to send Britian to the roof of the world.

Griz, I appreciat the way that you are although you look like a playboy, he he
Feb 3, 2008 19:14
  • SHESGOTTOBE
There are a lot of rich people in this world that we have not even heard of because they like being anonymous. A lot of rich people also give anonymously.

The ironic thing is that a lot of people who are not even anywhere near rich are very far from being modest. They keep talking about money as if they have it. It’s true that many rich people like to show off but there are also many rich people who would walk down the street without any hint that they are multi-millionaires.
Feb 3, 2008 22:22
  • MARRIE
I don't see cause and effect relationship between modest and rich.

A Chinese saying is that child from poor family acts earlier as bread earner and he/she is prone to making financial planning and budgeting to make ends meet. And those children, i believe, know much more about how to live, how to love!!
Feb 7, 2008 10:07
  • GRIZ326
I look like a playboy??? hehehe

Really???

Maybe I've played my cards wrong all of these years. :-)

Feb 11, 2008 01:14
  • LEONARDO
I don't see cause and effect relationship between modesty personal wealth. "It is difficult for a rich person to be modest,or a modest person rich." I disagree with the line, especially the latter part of the line. A modest person is more likely to be rich since he is good at drawing on the strength of others.
Feb 11, 2008 22:00
  • JIMMYB
Yes, it is difficult for a rich person to be modest. A rich man are very likely to become arrogant. He might feel superior to others because he has more money than others.
Feb 21, 2008 10:27
  • LIONPOWER
Many rich people modest than the poor comparatives to his money, power and other facilities. Rich people can do many bad things as he have the way but they did not do, even all times they control them selfs.
Yes, poor have no way to do the bad think in lieu of money, power etc but they are greedy of these.

Post a Reply to: It is difficult for a rich person to be modest?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code