Menu
Teaching English, yes another enquiry
Feb 3, 2008 06:42
  • ARLENA
I"ve read the threads re teaching English in China and get the impression that it's not such a well regarded ambition by many "old China hands".
But, my query is this; is it necessary to have a degree( in anything) so as to get a working visa?
Or, would the fact that someone who is over 50, a native English speaker who has documented references for a 12 year career as the editor for an English language weekly magazine, plus a recognised TESOL certificate with 4 electives, count?
I too have seen so many teachers of English here in China who didn't appear to have much of a knowledge of the language other than being brought up speaking it.
So any advice as to where to look for a job teaching adults rather than children, and preferably coaching those adults in corporate communication?
Feb 3, 2008 06:59
  • APAULT
It is possible to get a job without a degree but many colleges will turn you down because of it. Try the larger agencies like anesl.com (angelinas cafe) or my agent eslconnexions.com and see what they say...in fact I asked the latter about this situation (did you enquire previously) and Jane Zhou the proprietor said 'you' .

You can also try the private language centres and businesses which provide business English training to companies - I think there are some good jobs in that area tho perhaps harder working than my cushy life!

Feb 4, 2008 23:27
  • G8WAY2CHINA
Hello Arleana. My name is Chris Cookson. I currently reside in Yangzhou, Jiangsu. I work for the International English Education Research Association (IEERA), more specifically for IEERA's China office. My organization deals with, amongst other things, the issuance of all types of visas to foreigners who want to come to China and also to Chinese individuals who wish to go abroad, and related legal issues. It has a great deal of expertise in this field and it also has many advantages vis-a-vis governmental agencies and ordinary visa agents, such as being the largest visa issuer in China, it providing additional supporting documentation if needed, it having close ties to the government (allowing quick and unbureaucratic processing) and it issuing all visa types to just about any nationality and on whichever grounds the applicant may have. Please rest assured that our services are 100% legal and 100% legitimate.

To answer your question, no, your not having a degree is absolutely no problem whatsoever IF you go through the right channels. In fact, if you go through me, I can guarantee you will be issued with the requisite documentation AND that you can go and teach at any educational institution you desire. In fact, in light of your age, professional experience and being TESOL certified, I don't see any hindrance to your teaching at a good university if this is our intention. Please, however, get in touch with me, so we can make this a reality!

You can contact me directly by emailing me to yahoo.com|chriscookson.ieera Please, however, be aware that I will not be available again until Feb. 8th or 9th, as I'm going on a small trip. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
May 16, 2008 00:35
  • ARLENA
Thankyou to Chris Cookson for your reply and to the very prolific Apault. Both of you so helpful.
Apault, you're so knowledgeable - all your replies are valuable and encouraging to those of us who are newcomers to the possibility of teaching English as a foreign language.
I am now ready to pack the bags and move to China. So, I'm on the lookout for a job that gives me some flexibility to see the area in which I'll be based, accommodation, and enough money to buy a jet. ( only kidding about the jet) and when does a new term or semester commence for hiring?
I dont particulary want to teach children - rather adults, and preferably corporate English. But, I'd be happy to get anything in Chengdu or Beijing. Any suggestions?
May 16, 2008 08:40
  • JABAROOTOO
Put Chengdu on hold for a while. You'd be better off in Beijing but then the Olympics are just around the corner too............

Good luck
May 19, 2008 03:58
  • NILO
Hi,

I am Filipino, a college degree holder and my English is very good. I have been a college editor of an English school paper and my English really sounds like American. Do you think it would be easy for me to get an English teaching job in China?
May 19, 2008 06:45
  • APAULT
Nilo. You will find some oposition because you are not from one of the recognised countries, but there are many places that will consider you. Why not attach a brief voice clip to your application?
Post a Reply to: Teaching English, yes another enquiry
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code