Menu
Great Wall in Jan 09
Feb 4, 2008 09:24
  • FREEBIRDNZ
Hi there,

I was planning a month trip to China in Jan 2009 and realise now it will be far too cold. Do you think it will still be ok to visit the Great Wall in early Jan? I am going to Asia anyway so I can still stop in China but do people think it's still worth the visit even though it's going to be freezing? I can go visit the Great Wall and spend a few days in Beijing and then leave.

Thanks,

Freebirdnz
Feb 4, 2008 21:05
  • FWSPARANO
freebird,

I went to the Great Wall at the tail end of Jan 2005. It was the coldest day in Beijing that year at the time we went, just after a nice warm spell (about 18 degrees F, well below freezing). The 2 1/2 hr ride to simitai was barely tolerable, as there was no heat in the car. The bottles of water we carried were freezing in our hands. Having said that, it was one of the best time's I've had (partially due to the harsh weather). I felt as though I accomplished something afterwards. Likewise, there were no other tourists during our hike, just us and some locals that insist on guiding you around. Depending on which part of the wall you go and whether or not you take a cable car, if it's available at that part, the trek could be much warmer because of the physical exersion; some parts are more difficult to trek than others. We warmed up quick once getting out in the bright sun and hiking. Also, we went just after a warm spell in Jan, just missing decent weather. I live in Beijing and the winters, and winds outside city in particular, can be a bit brutal. Its beginning to warm up now, just still below freezing. But if you dress warm, in my opinion, the great wall is well worth a visit.
Feb 24, 2008 01:41
  • ELLYSE
Depends on what would be "too cold" for you. I did the Jinshanling-Simatai hike in late January 2005 and I still felt it was ok -- and I come from a tropical country.
Post a Reply to: Great Wall in Jan 09
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code