Menu
Want to learn chinese language by heart dont know how to start-pls help!
Feb 4, 2008 19:30
guest54968 hi there ! want to learn chinese by heart. wasnt able to enroll in a chinese school. im quite confused as to where i should start. ive been reading bout the traditional and pinyin method. please enlighten me which among the two is better? another is that i noticed aside from mandarin, there are other chinese dialect being spoken to. which among the chinese dialect is far more universal and advantageous to learn? thank you so much in advance for those who will reply .

happy chinese new year..in advance...
Feb 4, 2008 21:55
  • LOVESHANGHAI
Hi!

I think it is really hard to learn a language such as mandarin by yourself. I think you should begin by joinning a mandarin class at first. It would be easier for you. By the way, there is the new total beginner intensive courses starts on next monday, February 11th at easyMandarin. It is the way I have chosen few months ago, and it had be really efficient for me. So why not for you? If you want more information, contact easymandarin.cn|info or have a look at http://www.easymandarin.cn

If you really want to learn alone, i advice you to begin with the pinyin. It is more efficient as more easier to remember the words. After, when you would able to speak a little, you could try the caracters.

Good luck in learning mandarin.

Vincent.
Feb 6, 2008 01:42
  • HHW114
HI,I also suggest that u start from pinyin which will definetely do good to u, plus if u cannot pick up characters in a short time,pinyin is also an alternative.
yep,there r so many dialects in China, varying widely from place to place,but if u don't look like a Chinese,people will use mandarine esp. in big cities,so don't worry:)
Feb 6, 2008 07:10
GUESTMITCH hi there my name is mitch. oh im chinese by blood actually. only that i wasnt educated in a chinese school here in the philippines.

many thanks to you and to vincent for responding. I found a school here that offers 9 levels of teaching/learning the chinese language. Ill start with mandarin. and i was told the teachers are from shanghai.
Feb 6, 2008 21:39
  • SIVA
  • Community Moderator
I also suggest that you should do listening every day through the text record maybe and practise with your Chinese friends on line or in your life. In this way the first step - speaking can be achieved.
Feb 7, 2008 09:47
GUESTTRAVMITCH thank you all for those who replied. will take your suggestions...
Feb 9, 2008 14:57
GUEST33119 Hi, I was born in Guangzhou in Guangdong province but was raised in Hong Kong and in Toronto. I am fluent in English and Cantonese but not in Mandarin because I still have to learn the pronounciation (Chinese call it pinyin) of many words in Mandarin. Since I was brought up learning the traditional Chinese characters, the simplified Chinese charaters are also strange to me although I do recognise some of them. Out of some 100 dialects in China, Mandarin and Cantonese are the two dialects you need only to know, Cantonese is the official dialect spoken in Hong Kong and in Guangzhou city and Mandarin is the official dialect spoken throughout China but there are numerous local variations of Mandarin dialects in different provinces. Mandarin is easier for foreigners to learn because it has pure tones and sounds musical while Cantonese is harmonic and sounds very harsh with some words very difficult to pronounce.

Here is a brief lesson on common daily conversation: The first line is English, the second line is Cantonese, the third line is Mandarin:

How are you?
Nay ho ma?
Ni how ma?

I am fine, thank you.
Ngor ho, door jair (word to word translation: I fine, many thanks)
Wor how, zair zair. (I fine, thanks thanks)

What is your name?
Nay gil mug man? (you call what name)
Nie gel some more ming? (you call what name)

My name is Tim.
Ngor gil ah Tim. (I call ah Tim, ah is a commonly inserted before a name for unknown reason)
Wor gel ah Tim. (same as above)

Its nice weather today.
Gum tin tin hay ho. (this sky sky air fine, gum tin = today, tin hay=weather)
Gin ten ten chi how. (same as above)

Please call a taxi for me.
Ching nay gil dick-see bay ngor. (please you call taxi to me)
Ching nie gel dar-see gate wor. (same as above)

I am going to the Olympic Game in Beijing this year.
Ngor gum nin hui bud ging O lum pug hug. (I this year go Beijing Olympic)
Wor gin nan chi Beijing O lim pie kor. (same as above)

"I or me", first person singular, in Cantonese is "ngor" sounds like a combination of snoring and a goose calling with mouth wide open, It is "wor" in Mandarin.

"you", second person singular in Cantonese is "nay", it is "nie" in Mandarin.

"he"or "she", third person singular in Cantonese is "tar" both in Cantonese and Mandarin.
but there is a slight distinction in the characters for "he" and "she".

So you see, Mandarin is easier to learn then Cantonese and it is the official language in China. If you learn, you should learn the typical Beijing dialect as there are many variation in Mandarin, the Mandarin spoken in Taiwan is not the same as that spoken in Beijing.

Good luck.

Feb 12, 2008 17:16
  • SHIVAH
I suggest you go to a library and pick up a baby book in english and chinese (mandarin) I know it seems strange but it contains the basics of the most common things .... like the numbers ... front, back, left, right. all with visuals that are very easy to understand. Also there are some very good free podcasts (go to itunes) that will teach you some very basic phrases (theres one called survival phrases- chinese) I found to be great. http://survivalphrases.com/

Good luck!
Feb 13, 2008 19:34
  • BRENDACHINA
Hi, I am chinese, I introduce u go to www.tt4you.com
that is Language Exchange web online. Many Chinese there.
Feb 14, 2008 13:54
  • RUIDIANREN
Nihao
Don't forget there are four tones in mandarin, this is why it is so hard to learn. I can recommend CHINESEPOD. I learn alot from this by myself..

Zaijian
Feb 16, 2008 19:29
  • BRENDACHINA
Learning Chinese is a little bit difficult for beginners. You could start by pinyin, and you’d better find a native to talk to. That will be helpful.
Chinese have many dialects, but mandarin is popular that everyone can understand. Don’t learn dialect or you will get confused.
If you don’t have time to go to school, I suggest you choose Language Exchange online, then you have free time to practice with native.
www.ttfyou.com is a good web, you can go there and find Chinese partners.

Hope you good luck!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Want to learn chinese language by heart dont know how to start-pls help!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code