Don't be afraid to try new things!
Feb 7, 2008 09:40
  • GRIZ326
So far on this trip I have eaten:

* pig brains in whipped eggs
* pig stomach
* chicken feet
* frog
* century egg (I knew it as a "thousand year old egg" there is another post about this dish in this forum)

...and many more items never found on an American menu. I expect to try many more unusual dishes in the time remaining here in China.

I've never been bashful about trying new foods, but I know many people are. I would just like to encourage you to give these unusual dishes a try. Chinese cuisine is spectacular. If prepared in a reliable restaurant or in a Chinese home - it will be safe to eat and probably more delicious than you can imagine!!!

For those of you who are squeamish about unusual foods...I just want to encourage you to give it a try. If you do not like it, your friends at the table surely will. ...and if you are eating alone and do not like it, you can order something else and the bill will not seriously deplete your vacation funds. Food is the greatest bargain in exploring China!

Enjoy!!!
Feb 7, 2008 11:43
  • SHIVAH
you're completely right I had some of the most unusual food in china, though because I'm Mexican it wasn't all that dissimilar to what I amused to eating. Remarkably, Chinese food and Mexican food are very similar in the basic ingredients used to make them.

While in china i had :

Silk worms, bees, grubs

chicken : hearts , feet, -- ohh and chicken on stick
We met a vendor on a night market who sold everything on a stick ..it was DELICIOUS they fried the chicken and added a chili powder and cumin to it all ...mouth watering!

hot pot! hot pot was a decidedly great experience the broth was great but the fun part was cooking the whole thing, we had so many choices!

I also went to a northern Chinese restaurant where we ate dishes that were very unique unfortunately due to my poor Chinese (mandarin) I don't know what I actually had T_T boi bo chi T_T

ohh there were also little food stands with tiny egg custard cups in puff pastry and some in pie crust

I actually watched noodle making in front of me while waiting for noodle soup - that was amazing the noodles are stretched ..folded ...kept apart and stretched and folded again .. i was surprised at the GREAT chewy texture and the fact that during the entire meal the noodles stayed chewy and never became soggy!

I had duck at a very nice place, we got our own room and the chef came and carved the duck for us, which I understand is a great and skillful thing =\ unfortunately, not knowing the difference and the intricacies of carving duck I didn't fully appreciate it. (if someone could tell me the difference I would appreciate it! ) The duck was crispy and moist and the sauce and dumplings we had w. it (along w. the soup afterwards) made the meal completely rewarding.

Tsing Tao beer is delicious - I don't like beer at all but Tsing Tao beer is light and thirst quenching =]

There is a lot more food I tried and loved in China =] and if and when I remember more I'll post!
Feb 8, 2008 01:50
I think Imust have something that my stomach didn't like, I have been ill since I got back, my last meal was last Friday, I cant even face food without throwing up, having said that I seem to have the fluI feel like a 80 year old, no not the ones the jokes are about, he he
Alan
Feb 8, 2008 14:40
  • DAVEC
I thought you were 80 Alan.

I tried various things when I was last in China and I would try everything next time I go as to me thats what its all about, experience the culture.
I had

Snake
Turtle
Silk worm
Pigs lung
Yak

Plus plenty more that I still have no idea what it was.
Feb 11, 2008 02:03
No Dave I'm 56, but the illness did put me in hospital on Saturday, it was a combination of flu, stomach bug and kidney infection, at least i'm on the mend,
Alan
Post a Reply to: Don't be afraid to try new things!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code