Menu
Tea culture VS coffee culture
Feb 12, 2008 01:12
  • ICEBLUE
Do you like drinking tea or coffee? China is viewed as the Hometown of Tea. Over years, tea has been so closely associated with Chinese people's daily lives that tea culture has become an important part of Chinese culture. As early as the opening of Silk Road, tea has been exported to the west. To a certain extent, westerners get acquitainted with Chinese culture since they know Chinese tea. Coffee is one of westerner's favorite drinks. Do you westerners love coffee as much as Chinese love tea? Is coffee closely associated with westerners' everyday lives? In China, we do have "茶文化" (Tea culture) . Do you have " coffee culture"? Nowadays, Chinese youngsters begin to like drinking coffee. Some like coffee more than tea. Generally speaking, tea is much healthier than coffee, but someone just likes coffee. It is a matter of taste. It seems that tea culture is shrinking while coffee culture is widely spreading.
Feb 12, 2008 01:49
GUESTZHANG R... ice blue, i agree with you. tea is much better than coffee. coffee has caffeine which stimulate the heart beat, well it makes the beat goes faster and faster,it reduces eating appetite, it makes people stays up late. it could never be better than tea.
Feb 12, 2008 11:01
  • APAULT
Britain and Australia used to have tea culture too, but very different from the Chinese one. Black tea (from India and Sri Lanka) drunk with milk and sugar was the main drink throughout society when I was a kid. The 'better bred' individuals drank it from expensive chinaware with dainty biscuits while the working man drank much stronger tea from large mugs while he ate a bacon sandwich. My parents always finished their meal with a cup of tea. If someone had a shock or a small misfortune - 'Oh, let me get you a nice cup of tea', it was the cure all. There are rituals about how it should be made too, the water must be boiling, warm the pot, one spoon of tea for each person plus 'one for the pot'. It must stand for 5 minutes. Should you add milk before or after the tea --- that was a subject much debated.

Nowadays more coffee, especially instant coffee is more common as it is quicker, and strangely 'baby bottles' of water which are carried around and sucked on every five minutes.
Feb 12, 2008 17:11
  • SHIVAH
I like both equally, though I believe I drink tea the most. They both have different qualities about them. I drink tea to relax. I drink coffee to get going.

You're right about the coffee culture though I remember as a kid looking at all the adults having coffee late at night and wanting to do the same. *laugh* sometimes they indulged me and gave me a cup with a little bit of coffee and lots of milk and sugar. This is a regular custom in Mexico, where dinner is not a big meal but a small one of usually only coffee with sweet bread. Breakfast and Lunch are the big meals of the day.
Feb 12, 2008 19:04
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I don’t like coffee or tea. But at work, everyone seems to be a coffee drinker. We get all kinds of drinks at work for free and my colleagues seem to be drinking them by the gallons!

Yea, I am one of those who always have a bottle of water. I prefer natural spring water above all drinks. ^_^
Feb 12, 2008 22:11
  • SUNNYDREAM
Cofffee contains caffeine that make you excited. People who stay up in the night prefer drinking coffee.Certainly, coffee is not good for your health. Do you have any special etiquette when you hang out to drink coffee with friends or acquaintance?
Feb 14, 2008 01:14
I was brought up on tea in the way paul described, coffee is for me is better than the British way of drinking tea, although I would only drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee and no more.
I now drink green tea as it's meant to be drunk, but I tend to drink mainly water during the day and lot's of it to prevent my kidney stones returning .
Alan
Feb 14, 2008 04:59
  • DAVEC
I drink both, I like a coffee first thing to give me the big caffeine boost for the day ahead.
Tea contains caffeine as well for those who didnt know even green tea so if you prefer to keep away then have caffeine free tea which I drink too. It is not as strong as normal tea and in my opinion is a little sweeter
Feb 14, 2008 07:10
  • LESBUB
Same here, an occassional coffee at work, otherwise green tea & sometimes a "builders" tea, strong black tea, splash of milk & one sugar!
Feb 14, 2008 23:36
  • LEMONCACTUS
I don't like coffee and love tea.

In England I drink black tea, Assam, very strong in a huge mug (sometimes with a bacon sandwich!!) I hate teabags and PG tips - bit of a tea snob I think! I love Whittards which always has a fabulous selection of loose leaf teas.... anyway....

I also love fruit teas.

In China I love green tea which I buy specially, in loose leaf form from local plantations... not from a supermarket.

I love China's tea culture and have my own lovely tea pot and tiny cups, though to be honest I use them very rarely. I prefer even my green tea in a mug, or at best a tall glass.
Feb 15, 2008 18:37
  • APAULT
Green tea is OK too...if you add some sugar to it!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tea culture VS coffee culture
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code