Menu
The Lotus Pool By Moonlight
Feb 13, 2008 02:38
  • ICEBLUE
Hello buddies,

How are your Chinese-learning progressing? Can you read these Chinese characters? I remembered an essay I have learned at primary school. The title is "The Lotus Pool By Moonlight". in Chinese "荷塘月色" He(2) Tang(2) Yue(4) Se (4). It was composed by a famous Chinese writer Zhu Ziqing.
Almost every Chinese student can recite this essay. Can you read and understand the first paragraph? Have a try? How many Chinese characters can you identify in the text?

这几天心里颇不宁静。今晚在院子里坐着乘凉,忽然想起日日走过的荷塘,在这满月的光里,总该另有一番样子吧。月亮渐渐地升高了,墙外马路上孩子们的欢笑,已经听不见了;妻在屋里拍着闰儿,迷迷糊糊地哼着眠歌。我悄悄地披了大衫,带上门出去。

Feb 13, 2008 02:43
  • ICEBLUE
Can you understand? Are you scratching your head? Take it easy! To help you understand the text, an English version is for your reference. Maybe, you can figure out a better version of translation.

The last few days have found me very restless. This evening as I sat in the yard to enjoy the cool, it struck me how different the lotus pool I pass every day must look under a full moon. The moon was sailing higher and higher up the heavens, the sound of childish laughter had died away from the lane beyond our wall, and my wife was in the house patting Juner and humming a lullaby to him. I quietly slipped on a long gown, and walked out leaving the door on the latch.
Feb 13, 2008 03:55
  • CHERYL
This essay may indicated some deep connotation based on the social environment at that time, It is really hard to understand it completelyand correctly.
Post a Reply to: The Lotus Pool By Moonlight
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code