Menu
What do I need to have for our marriage
Feb 13, 2008 08:51
guestRoger I am going to marry a Chinese woman. Some of my questions have been answered but she says her government requires, besides the statement that I`m single, my last tax return and any criminal record which I do not have. Is that true? I would appreciate any info. Thanks
Feb 13, 2008 19:40
  • TOMSPENCER
I got married just a couple of weeks ago, and although proceedures may vary slightly from Province to Province, the basic rules governing what things are required remain the same throughout China.

All that is required is your passport and evidence that you are not married (typically this has to be a document with fancy-looking stamp from your home country (or relevant embassy or consulate), together with similarly stamped Chinese translation).

There used to be a requirement for people to have a full medical before getting married, but this was dropped some time ago.

I've never heard of any Province requiring tax receipts, pay slips, bank records or any other proof of financial integrity.

Perhaps it's really her parents who are pushing her to make sure she's going to have a financially stable future. "How much do you earn?" was almost the first question that my wife's grandmother asked me.
Feb 14, 2008 11:11
GUEST57142 Thanks, I sent a letter to the Consulate in SF with the same questions.
Feb 18, 2008 03:01
GUEST77142 I just got married on Feb. 14th, in Guangdong District. I hear so many nightmare stories but I had no problems. I brought my divorce papers back with me when I went stateside at xmas, had them translated in goungzhou and stamped by the company who did it, cost me 1,000 RMB, took those papers, in English and Chinese, along with my passport to the Marry and Public Affair Bearau in Laibin which is her hometown, paid 26RMB, waited 2 hours and 10 minutes and stuck my fingerprint on the marriage book and was done. Oh yeah dont forget your married pictures of the two of you together you need 3 of them any local photo place can do them.
Nov 26, 2008 15:53
  • PALAMEDE
hi Guest77142,
please tell me what company helped you with documents?
I am canadian, and have : 1--affidavit from a canadian consulate( that i was never married) ;2--Birth Certificate-; 3 passport ( and of course plane tickets)

Are these ok to get married in Guangdong? Can I translate and notarize documents in China ? Or, they should be , before ?

thanks,
dan
Nov 28, 2008 03:32
  • PALAMEDE
hi, i plan to go in feb in guangzhou.Please tell me where can i translate and notarize my documents?
thanks dan
Dec 16, 2008 00:09
  • ROB04216
Hi Dan,
You can have everthing translated in China. I am sure your fiance will know where the notary is and they can tell her where the translater is located. Perhaps she can find out ahead of time, that may save you some time while your there. Good luck.

Rob
Dec 16, 2008 08:12
GUEST00175 thanks a lot, Rob
Post a Reply to: What do I need to have for our marriage
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code