Menu
What did you bring with you?
Feb 14, 2008 03:02
  • SCHNERBY
I will be going to China in 2009 for at least 12 months. What did you find you needed to bring with you? Anything you desperatley missed or needed sent over in a care package from friends? Anything unusual that you are very glad you thought of? I hear deodorant is hard to find. Also, did anyone bring a laptop with them? I have mixed respnses about taxes on them.

I will be bringing plenty of medicines and the like for my poor tummy that got a bit upset last time I was over.
Feb 14, 2008 03:24
  • TOMSPENCER
I brought far too few winter clothes. I had been assured that the winters in sub-tropical Guangdong were mild and only a light jumper would be enough. No-one mentioned the fact that there would be no heating anywhere and even a relatively mild winter can end up seeming really cold!

I brought a fantastically expensive laptop (a desktop replacement), tons of deodorant (like you, I had also heard that it was hard to come by), and a lot of small packets of Kleenex (my mother had heard things about the state of toilets in China and was sure I would need it).

That was 3 years ago. And even in the small city that I arrived in, it was possible to find things like deodorant. And every restaurant gives you a packet of tissues when you order (normally for 1 or 2 yuan added to the bill), so the Kleenex wasn't necessary.

The things I needed to buy shortly after arrival included international plug and socket adapters, a broadband modem and wireless router. I didn't want to take these things with me from the UK as I knew they would be easy to buy in China, however trying to set up a router that is entirely in Chinese took a lot of effort and made me wish I'd brought mine with me.

Really these days you can get just about anything you need in all the major cities in China. Foods from home might be one thing you'll really miss. While a wide range of generic foreign foods is available, it can be very hard to find those special little things that you take for granted back home. Speciality shops that import foreign delicacies are few and far between, and the goods are expensive!

Coming from the UK I missed Branston's pickle. And for a long time I couldn't get cheese in my city - I had to make regular trips to Hong Kong to re-stock.

If you're going to be teaching, then the kids will be fascinated by anything you can show them from your home (photos, postcards or whatever). You might find it difficult to find English language books, here, but I'd have someone post these to you, rather than carry them, as they are bulky and heavy.

They sell those alcohol-based hand cleansers here, but always worth bringing one with you for the period before you get settled-in. And yes, do come with plenty of your favourite medicine.
Feb 14, 2008 23:13
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi :)

I brought my (beloved) laptop with me and have never had any problems. I don't know what you mean about taxes, but I've been in and out of China tonnes of times and never paid a penny for my laptop. The local guys here set up the internet broadband connection for me and though it's not superfast it's OK.

I get deoderant sent over to me because I live in a little city where decent brands aren't available but if you're going to be in a big city I wouldn't bother.

Medicine is a good point.

Books. I miss English language books and they're very hard to come by here. Even so-called English language bookstores in the biggest city stock a very limited range and most often are quite expensive. Usually you can buy all the classics (and actually I've quite enjoyed reading Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Hard Times etc).

Only food I miss is CHEESE (but this can be got in supermarkets in big cities). My local supermarket sells what I call "plastic" cheese, the stuff in sqaures but it's disgusting. They even sell CHOCOLATE cheese!

The bread here is weird too. Usually even the most square cut looking loaf is sweet and beware of surprise weird fillings in bread roles such as bean paste :) A tiny bakery near me now sells a brown loaf with nuts and seeds which is passable (but still sweet!) The steamed bread or mantou is much nicer.

China really has everything you want, and usually at much cheaper prices than where you're coming from. Quality is a bit of an issue though. But you really don't need to bring that much with you, favourite clothes and books usually make up the weight in my suitcase!

Have a great trip.
Feb 15, 2008 13:46
  • APAULT
Most of my experience and recommendations follow those of Lemoncactus but I make the following points. Yes I miss cheese, though no doubt I could get it at a price in Carrefour in nearby Guangzhou. But China has so many otherw onderful things, experiment and be prepared to throw away a few adventurous purchases.

Although I recommend buying very little before you come as prices are so low here. There are exceptions, clothes for the larger sizes can usually only be bought in the biggest cities (eg size 45 shoes, or 10 UK, 11 US?).

Most medicines are available here and cheaper but you might need some assistance buying them, though even then it is not easy because many Chinese do not use much western medicine or don't know the English names. Diarrohea tablets here are excellent... black with a main component of creosote (I think), but do bring an initial supply.

Deodorant is available here, but not so many options as overseas. If you are working in a western environment I guess you might want deodorant, but in the schools and colleges there is little need as no-one else is wearing it. My prior mentor told me I should not shower more than once a week as it is not healthy! (but then that is typical of many older people in the west too - well in Britain anyway). Many students have been surprised on the odd occasion I wore aftershave. Just eat plenty of garlic and smell like everyone else - deodorants are just a marketing success anyway!

Feb 15, 2008 19:57
  • SCHNERBY
Ah I think shoes may be a problem. I am a (Australian so prob UK) ladies 10 which is the larges size i find in standard stores. I also found Chinese diarrohea tablets to be very effective.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated!

I will be bringing copious amounts of Vegemite, i know it isn't allowed into the US because of the high folate content (not approved for medical use apparently) but I'm going to try my luck for China.
Feb 17, 2008 07:05
  • JABAROOTOO
You can buy Vegemite quite easily here in bigger cities who specialize in International foods. If you are bringing it then it is a good idea to bring it in tubes.

I give all my students a taste test as well. Wait until you've been here from some time and discovered something that all your locals love but that you cannot eat for any reason and then break out the Vegemite and see how they handle it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i get a great kick out of this and manage to introduce it so some kids who also love it.

But seriously special medication, clothes and books and family photos etc are all you really need to f=bring.

If you are in a larger city you can get a lot of international food items and while they are always a little more expensive they are worth it.
Post a Reply to: What did you bring with you?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code