Menu
Should teenagers question their parents' wisdom and authority?
Feb 14, 2008 03:14
guestteen Teenagers, when they grow up, begin to question their parents' authority and wisdom. And I tell you, they're not always wrong. Most parents have children too young themselves. They are not themselves wise enough to lead other unwise human beings. But the system of our world is like that. So we grow up, many of us being frustrated with our parents, because they want to have the right and authority to tell us what to do. And then we sometimes question that because they are not always right. This is true. But they are authority figures. We cannot argue with them. Yet, we feel frustrated inside. Sometimes younger people have more wisdom than older people, because all of us have wisdom to begin with. It doesn't mean that if you are born later, you have less wisdom. It's not always true. It is because we are born with wisdom, you see!
Feb 14, 2008 04:15
You are entitled to your own opinion.

But, needless to say, everyone (whether teens or parents) do have their own little errors to contend with.

In line with that, I would like to share that I have read something before that may, perhaps, influence you to think about these things more. It says that whatever you see as an error in someone is actually what you would like to fix in yourself.

Feb 14, 2008 19:57
  • ICEBLUE
Parents have richer life experiences than children. They have more insights into life. Their advices may be of great help for children.

Should parents see themselves as authority to their children? I don't think so. Stupid parents want to dictate their children's lives. Good parents should treat their children as equal friends. For wisdom, I agree with you that "It doesn't mean that if you are born later, you have less wisdom.". Wisdom has niothing to do with age?
Feb 14, 2008 21:40
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I was a teenager (16 or 17) when I had a big ‘fight’ with my father. He asked me questions in jest, I answered back. You see, in Asian culture, it is a no-no to answer back to your parents, but I took that risk just so he could see my point of view. I figured we couldn’t go on like that and I couldn’t afford to have bitter feelings and resentments towards him all my life, so I had to take that risk. After that, we had a much better relationship. He started respecting my decisions and never tried to dictate me. I have a full rein on how to run my life. I don’t think I failed him so far or he would never hesitate to tell me. I got my outspokenness from him in the first place. LOL!

It is a good thing to be open and accessible to your children so you are the first person they could tell everything with. That way, you don’t end up being like other parents who don’t have a clue in what is going on in their children’s lives.
Post a Reply to: Should teenagers question their parents' wisdom and authority?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code