Menu
About 1 month in China for 2 elderly people - where to go ?
Feb 19, 2008 22:25
guest09198 Hello everyone,

I am bringing my parents, both in their 70s to China for the first time in October. I hope to receive some suggestions for my itinenary. We will be flying into Macau and out from Shenzhen.

We are travelling on our own, without joining any tour but will consider any local tour to join for convenience. We are travelling mid-budget.

I planned to go Xi'an and Beijing first before the weather gets colder and after that to Shanghai, Hangzhou and Suzhou areas. By then half a month is up. Where shall I go for the rest of the time in October ?

I am thinking of 3 Gorges trip, Jiuzhaigou & Guilin/Yangsuo. Is it advisable ? Tibet will not be in our plan.

What are the other highlights of China that I should not miss ? Is any of the famed mountain that can be easily visited enroute ?

Thank you and hope to receive some valuable suggestions.
Feb 20, 2008 06:14
  • CHERI
I think you should spent 1 week to Sanya, which is a coast city in Hainan, very beautiful comfortable in Winter. Lots of foreigners like to go to Sanya to spend their cold winter days.
Feb 20, 2008 10:00
  • BARONTWANGLE
I would certainly say that Yangshuo would be suitable. If your parents like walking (and are reasonably fit), then I would also suggest looking at visiting Zhangjiajie. There are many easy paths to walk around, and the scenery is amazing.
Feb 20, 2008 10:21
  • CLARENCEGUO
Beijing , Xi'an ,Huashan mountain,Jiuzhaigou ,chendu,chongqing,3 Gorges ,Guilin/Yangsuo,Huangshan mountain,Hangzhou ,Suzhou ,Shanghai,
Feb 20, 2008 11:19
GUEST83756 Yangsuo and Guilin is a must, as my parents heard so much about it.

I will not consider Hainan as it is more of beaches and we don't swim.

#3, Is it possible to do so many places in about 1 month ?

Which is easier and more convenient ? Huashan or Huangshan ? How about Ermei Shan and Leshan ? They are quite near together.

They are 70's and 80's and cannot walk for too long each time, which of the mountains is best to go ?

How much is a night for an average room in a mid-range hotel ? How about food ? What's the daily budget per person ?

Thanks.
Feb 21, 2008 00:44
  • CLARENCEGUO
Beijing , Xi'an ,Huashan mountain, ,chendu,Ermei Shan and Leshan ,chongqing,3 Gorges ,Guilin/Yangsuo,Hangzhou ,Suzhou ,Shanghai,
Feb 21, 2008 07:03
  • BARONTWANGLE
Hotels vary enormously from region to region. In Beijing, a comfortable and clean mid range hotel will be about 400 yuan per night. In Yangshou it will be about 50 yuan per night. These prices are for a room, not per person. Food is not expensive anywhere (obviously you can find expensive if you look hard enough!), but in Yangshuo it is not good. I have spent a lot of time in Yangshuo, and can honestly say that I have never had a meal which is better than average. The western restaurants are the worst.

Regarding CLARENCEGUO's suggested itinerary, I think it is way too ambitious for an elderly couple. I think you should limit yourself to 6 destinations in a month. Remember that China is a big country, and you will generally need a day to get between each destination. So that is 6 days gone already! It's better to see a few places properly and enjoy them, rather than rushing around and not really seeing anything. If you only plan to spend 2 days in Yangshuo, it might rain on those days, and then you will have to leave. Better to relax, and not worry about having the odd day to do nothing.

Good Luck.
Feb 23, 2008 10:32
  • BARONTWANGLE
I just thought of a good place to visit while in Guilin. Take the bus to a place called Daxu (Dar Shoo) and visit the ancient area. There's not much walking to do, and it is like going back in time about 1000 years (if you avoid the souvenir sellers!). I can't remember the exact place where you catch the bus from, but it is a square close to the University. The bus will leave when it is full! Ask the driver or ticket person to tell you when to get off, as it won't be obvious. You then walk under a bridge, and follow your nose. There is one ancient street which is very interesting, especially if you turn left onto it, and keep walking over the bridge. I think souvenir sellers are banned from that part, as they never seem to go down there. Check out the right half too however.

All in all, you will want a couple of hours to explore the streets, and will take about 45 mins each way on the bus. You might have to wait up to 30 minutes for the bus to get there, but there seem to be many going back the other way.

Hope it proves a good suggestion.

Feb 23, 2008 11:59
  • GRIZ326
Plenty of good ideas here.

My only recommendation is to avoid the extreme summer heat. It seems that doing anything in China requires quite a bit of walking, the physical exertion combined with the heat might be too much for them.
Post a Reply to: About 1 month in China for 2 elderly people - where to go ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code