Menu
Lantern Festival goes off with a BANG
Feb 21, 2008 05:58
  • JABAROOTOO
Today is the last day of the Chinese Spring Festival.
It's a fine night with the sun actually putting in an appearance this afternoon.

Everyone's had their fill of glutinous rice balls, red lanterns are hanging all over town and now the party begins. For a city that has banned fireworks for so long this new freedom is heady and in voluble contrast to the eve of January first when almost nothing was seen or heard..

Fire works have been going off all around town for the past two days and tonight promises to be the grand finale. Only problem for many of us is the plethora of tall buildings obstructing a clear view of it all so there is just the loud bang,followed closely by echoes and a flash of light bouncing off the buildings all around.

I managed to catch a small show from my back balcony just as the the power company where hoisting a man in a 'cherry picker' to replace a blown street light across the street.

I wonder how much sleep we will get tonight with the sounds of shell and mortar popping all around??????

What's it like in other cities???
Feb 21, 2008 06:37
  • JABAROOTOO
Let's not forget that it is the full moon tonight and it is not only fine but clear enough to see it here in CQ which is an added bonus after such a long spell of cloudy foggy days.

Feb 21, 2008 07:57
  • MIRACLEYUAN
Today, I ate many rice glue balls (yuan xiao or tang yuan).
Feb 21, 2008 09:39
  • FAERIEQUEENE
A bright full moon here in HK. Being a Thursday not as much celebrations as the Valentine's day. There are lantern displays and riddle games in many places. Got some first hand photos
Feb 21, 2008 10:42
  • GRIZ326
The fireworks were deafening this morning in Nanning. I know because I was talking with my gal on YAHOO IM w/voice and could hear the explosions. :-)

...and the eclipse state-side was very nice too.
Feb 21, 2008 20:03
  • SUNNYDREAM
A noisy night! The fireworks almost make me deaf. The whole city is filled up with " Bang, Bang Bang".
Feb 21, 2008 20:08
  • JIMMYB
Me too, the fireworks was really annoying. I didn't have a sound sleep last night. BTW, it is said that the moon on 16th (lunar calendar) are rounder than that on 15th. So tonight is the best time to appreciate the moon.
Feb 21, 2008 21:49
  • ELLEN77
When on the way home after work last evening and seeing the firework, I found it very beautiful. But nearly the midnight the noisy sound can still be heard, it was really annonying! Strong advise to ban fireworks in the late everning.
Post a Reply to: Lantern Festival goes off with a BANG
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code