I think this is some sort of tea.

How do you use it?

Do you eat the fruit?

Do you need to sweeten the tea?

Here is the front of the box.....

Feb 21, 2008 10:26
  • GRIZ326
...and here is the back of the box.

If I could just use a regular Chinese dictionary, I would translate the back...I am sure the entire story is there.

Feb 21, 2008 18:53
  • MIRACLEYUAN
Grosvenor Momordica Fruit 罗汉果
In Chinese, it called Luo Han Guo. The box shows that it's from Guangxi Province (广西).
Feb 21, 2008 20:35
  • KATRINA
As the Chinese words on the back introduces, it is a kind of Chinese traditional medicine as well as a kind of food. You can steep it like tea. It contains dextrose, vitamine and protein and is 300 times sweeter than sugar. Those who suffer from chronic/acute bronchitis, tonsillitis, sore throat, acute gastritis and diabetes can drink it.
Feb 21, 2008 20:42
  • FAERIEQUEENE
search in wiki by this name => Siraitia grosvenorii

Luo Han Guo is often used in chinese (southern) nutritious soup, that have a sweeting flavour to other medicinal herbs and meat in the soup
Feb 27, 2008 04:14
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hi Steve,

Not to be all up in your business but do you smoke regularly?

I ask because my dad used to be a chain smoker and everybody we knew used to give him this type of preserved fruit to make a tea with honey and a special type of ginger to counteract the effects of smoking.
Feb 27, 2008 08:53
  • GRIZ326
That is a very interesting comment, Danny. I smoke cigars. My gal often associates an occasional cough with my cigars. You might be on to something...
Mar 3, 2008 17:56
  • GRIZ326
I finally cooked one of these fruits in a pot of water. I included the shell because the shell itself is sweet.

It makes a tasty and sweet brewed "tea." There was a faint bitterness to the brew, but that might have been because I cooked the shells.

I wonder if these things are available in the USA?
Mar 3, 2008 21:53
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hi Steve,

If you have a local Chinatown near you thats probably your best place to start with. Chinese supermarkets usually don't carry this type of preserved fruit because it falls into a medicinal category. If you know of a Chinatown near you its usually sold in herbalist shops that have huge ginseng pictures on there shop doors.
Mar 3, 2008 23:08
  • GRIZ326
I do not live near a Chinatown, Danny, but I will search the web to see if there is an online shop in LA, San Francisco or New York City. Thank you for your insight.
Post a Reply to: Is this tea, food or medicine???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code