Menu
Will Sampras' legend continue?
Feb 22, 2008 00:39
  • KEVIN0518
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 0 vote(s)
  2. 0 vote(s)
Sampras, a legend in Men's tennis arena, has claimed 14 Grand Slams in his tennis career. So far, no one surpasses his record. Only Federer is close to him, who has won 12 Grand Slams. Last year, these two talented players brought us three exciting exhibition matches. After the matches, Sampras said that he wouldn't attend professional tennis matches again. However, an ESPN report wrote an article, hoping Pete could come back to attend Wimbledon Open and fight Federer. What do you think will Sampras come back?

Feb 22, 2008 00:40
  • KEVIN0518
Here is the article written by Steve Tignor.

Source: ESPN

C'mon, Pete!
by: Steve Tignor, TENNIS.com
posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: Tennis

Be careful, Pete. After tuning Tommy Haas this week in San Jose, you're running out of excuses for not making a comeback. As everyone with two ears knows, you rolled Roger Federer once last November and reminded tennis fans that, even when it comes to the greatest players, our memories are woefully short. If you can make lightning strike again when you meet Fed next month at Madison Square Garden, would you really head back to the geezer opposition and tiny crowds on the Outback senior tour?

Here's my message to you: Consider it. I know you're not going to spin your wheels across the red clay in Europe this spring when you could be hanging out with your movie-star wife on another perfect California day. But what about your beloved Wimbledon? What's that, the grass is too slow now? You can think of better things to do than trade backhands with David Ferrer? OK, fair enough, but I can think of at least five reasons why you should be on Centre Court come June.

1. Teach the kids the ol' serve and volley. Once upon a time this was how tennis was played, and for good reason -- coming to the net is an efficient way to win points. As you know, you have a better angle up there, and you put pressure on an opponent in a way that most young baseliners haven't faced. If you can inspire just one top-level junior to dedicate himself to this style, it will have been worth it, don't you think?

2. Win a 15th major. If you get to play in the big arenas and don't have to work too hard in the early rounds, it's conceivable that you could walk away with your eighth Wimbledon trophy and 15th major title. Fed's got 12, but with Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal challenging him for all four Slams in the coming years, this could be the one that lets you keep the record. No matter what you say, I know that would feel pretty sweet.

Feb 22, 2008 00:40
  • KEVIN0518
3. Win one for the bald brotherhood. Men's tennis is all about hair. Euro-hair. We've got Fed flicking his locks off his forehead and Rafa pinning sweaty, stringy strands behind his ears. Djokovic? There's not much he can do with his, but it is a full head of hair, that's for sure. But what about the millions of guys 30-and-over who, like you, no longer have to worry about their hair getting in their eyes? They've got no one to relate to -- even Connors at 39 had all of his. You could give these men hope for a fortnight.

4. Keep Federer's jacket off. This might be the best reason of all to come back. Would the reigning Wimbledon champion dare to don his "I'm the toast of the lawns" getup with you, a seven-time winner, across the net from him? I don't think so.

5. Give us the story of the year. Look, you wouldn't have to win the whole thing, and there is the risk that a whippersnapper like Djokovic would embarrass you. But for however long you're in the event, sports fans everywhere would be watching tennis. And rooting for you. Isn't that what you dreamed about all those years?
Feb 24, 2008 21:11
  • JIMMYB
Personally, I hope he can come back to tennis court again. Then the matches will be more interesting. To win the title is not important.
Feb 27, 2008 19:14
  • LEOPOLD219
I guess that he won't be back to tennis court. His reign has finished and it is no need for him to be humiliated.
Post a Reply to: Will Sampras' legend continue?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code