Menu
Several western culture-related questions
Feb 25, 2008 00:26
guestlearner Hello all,

I am a Chinese student. Currently, I am learning English and have great interest in western culture. I have several culture-related questions:

Why does American often " cross my heart and hope to die"?

Why do Americans spill the rice on the body of the bride and the body of groom during the wedding?

In the west, do you have the custom that the man always walks on the outside when he is with a woman on the street? Do I make myself understood?
I mean: When a man walks along the street with a woman, as a rule,the man ought to be one who keeps nearer to the central road.

Can anyone help me with these questions?Thank you in advance for your help!
Feb 25, 2008 00:30
GUESTLEARNER Sorry, the first question should be:

Why does American often say "cross my heart and hope to die"?
Feb 25, 2008 00:36
  • JABAROOTOO
It's good to see your interest in such things.

I'll answer the third question for you relating to the male walking on the curb side of a lady.
It dates back to horse and buggy days and unpaved roads where the man would shield any water splashing or other danger from the lady in his company. Of course it is something that is seldom practice these days although if I am walking with a child I always place myself between them and the curb for safety reasons.

Crossing the heart and hope to die is an oath for keeping a promise or a secret but I'm not sure of it's meaning.

Throwing rice or confetti over the bride and groom after the wedding is symbolic of good wishes - again I have no idea why rice is used but it could have something to do with it being a seed that springs to life giving a wonderful increase in the next season.

I hope someone can shed a little more light on these last two for you.
Feb 26, 2008 11:46
  • SETH
"Cross my heart and hope to die" is a way to attest to the truth of something; solemnly assure someone that the truth has been spoken. For example, "I did lock the door--cross my heart and hope to die!" This phrase most likely originated as a religious oath based on the sign of the cross (for Christians); it is generally accompanied by hand gestures such as crossing one's hands over one's breast and then pointing the right hand skyward. Today most often uttered by children, it was first recorded in 1908. It's is also like "If I am lying, may God strike me dead!" It seems a bit silly to go to that extreme to convince someone that you are telling the truth, but idioms often start from simple things and take root.

Showering the couple with rice is an ancient tradition. As rice is considered a "life giving" seed it is thought that by throwing in on the couple they will be bestowed with fertility and have many children. Lots of churches no longer allow throwing rice because rice can be hazardous and often fatal to birds who frequently attempt to eat it off the ground. It is also very easy to slip upon, presenting potential for injury.

Feb 26, 2008 14:29
  • GRIZ326
Foohy!!!

I wanted to answer these questions...but Jabarootoo and Seth beat me to it and did a fine job. :-)
Feb 27, 2008 03:19
  • YEMMIE
Actually, in the old days the man walked on the outside for another reason. In western cities, the chamber pots were emptied out the windows from the second floor. The person standing on the outside usually got a bigger dose of the nasty stuff that came hurling down. The person on the inside was partially shielded by the building and by the man on the outside.
Feb 27, 2008 20:23
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Yemmi's answer is of great fun. It is a folklore, or just a joke. The man walke on the outside is to prevent the day from being splashed by the stuff poured from chamber pots. Interesting!
Post a Reply to: Several western culture-related questions
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code