Menu
Is it protectionism?
Feb 26, 2008 00:19
  • JIMMYB
According to the source, China's Huawei Technologies has failed to invest 2.2 billion dollars in the American 3COM company together with his partner Bain Capital. It is said that this deal won't be approved by Washington committee that scrutinises foreign investments in sensitive sectors. The committee regards this deal as a threat to US national security. In 2005, CNOOC, China's third-largest oil company failed to bid for American oil group Unocal just for the same reason.

At the same time, China has invoked national security to limit or ban foreign investments in Chinese companies.

Many think that it is the growing protectionism in US financial sector. "The failure might compllicate talks between China and US on a bilateral investment treaty." FT report says.

What do you think of this deal? Is it protectionism?
Feb 26, 2008 17:18
  • ERENCIUS
Hehe I m back on the field after a long absence ;) Happy to see that people still share interesting viewpoints down here.
Well I guess from the very sentence you wrote you can see it is protectionism : the US favour liberal policies all other the world except it might be at their expense.
It is coherent though selfish in some way. It has always been like this in the western diplomacy... Do what I say not what I do.
Feb 26, 2008 20:22
  • JIMMYB
Welcome back, ERENCIUS. It seems that you haven't been here for a long time. We miss you so much.

Quote:" the US favour liberal policies all other the world except it might be at their expense."

Exactly, they require other countries to open their financial sector and other areas. Considering of equality, they should also open their financial sector too, not find excuses, for example, your management is not transparent.
Feb 26, 2008 23:32
  • CHERI
An American who come from rurual district of USA said lots of Chinese polices are not transparent, especially our political policies. He said although there are lots of problems of American society, but their politics is transparent, especially the president's private life can be public impeach by public. But in China, people know a little about their politics, the chairman is sovereign and no peopel can or dare to impeach them. China's media serve for government, but the media of America is independent and their voice is great free than China's.
As a Chinese people, i know a little about USA, but i know every government are serving for authorities and rich men. It is a rule of every society, money is the God.
Post a Reply to: Is it protectionism?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code