Menu
Metric System in China
Feb 26, 2008 09:51
  • SPOERLE
Does China use the metric system? I just studied the wheather reports. They use Fahrenheit and not the 24 hour clock as most people in the world do. Is it a "kotau" to America?
Feb 26, 2008 12:42
  • ELLYSE
Huh? No, they still use the metric system here. And I don't think there's any "nationality" difference to using 12 or 24-hour clocks. All military use 24-hour time anyway.
Feb 26, 2008 12:42
  • ELLYSE
I meant all military regardless of country.
Feb 26, 2008 22:17
  • TOMSPENCER
Yes, China uses the metric system. For weights, though, it is common to see things priced or weighed by the 'jin', which is equal to 0.5 kg.

The 24 hour clock is known, here, and sometimes used (especially in businesses that are engaged in international trade), however the 12 hour clock is standard. I don't think this has got anything to do with America, though. Plenty of countries operate like this, I think.

I've never seen a weather report in Fahrenheit in China. Everyone around here just looks blankly when you mention it to them. It's Celcius all the way.
Feb 27, 2008 01:46
  • SPOERLE
1) Travelchinaguide weather report uses Fahrenheit
2) Shops advertise opening times with the 24 clock in Chinese.
In English they use the 12-hours clock.
I am sure this is a kotau to the USA.

Feb 27, 2008 02:39
  • TOMSPENCER
Weather reports on the TV and radio all use Celcius, as do the people in the street to whom you might speak (I admit I don't check the weather on Travelchinaguide).

You're quite right, shops do indeed advertise opening times with the 24 hour clock. I had completely forgotten this. In oral Chinese, however, everyone uses the 12 hour clock to express themselves.
Feb 27, 2008 06:20
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes you are correct about TCG using F in their weather reports but you'll have to forgive them. They are targeting the US market but you will also note that they are using the 12 hour clock for their times. Most other weather reports give you the option of either C or F
Flight and train schedules are all given in 24 hour clocks.

China is very metric except for measurements using the jin as explained by Tom
Feb 27, 2008 08:06
  • SPOERLE
Of course I know that China uses the Metric system. And the 24 hour clock. Even we use the 12 hour clock, when talking colloquial language. Whe I tell my wife I will return at five, she will never expect me to return at 05.00 hour, but at 17.00 hours.
What does disturb me is the "Kotau" of the Chinese to the US-American
Feb 27, 2008 10:23
  • APAULT
The 12 hour clock is also American in the sense that the US still uses it for timetables, whereas most countries have moved away from it. Dates are also a problem in China as there are three variants. International: Day:Month:Year, the totally illogical American system of Month:Day:Year, and the Chinese System (which is also best for use on computer file names) of Year:Month Day. Isn't it time the US joined the rest of the world and adopted international standards? Even the UK has got rid of all but miles

In distances, the official measure in China is metric, but most people who are not drivers will talk in 'li' which is about half a kilometre. If you get measured for clothes they may well use the old small unit (but I don't know what it is called) which is around 3cm and so a bit more than an inch.

Feb 28, 2008 17:28
GUEST78117 The units used to measure for clothes are 'chi' (尺) and 'cun' (寸).
1 chi = 1/3 meters
1 cun = 1/30 meters= 10/3 cm

Sometimes 'zhang' (丈) is used too
1 zhang = 10 chi
Feb 29, 2008 09:52
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes Paul,
As an experienced dressmaker I also enjoy watching them measure up in the local measurement and watch the 'large' looking inch that you have mentioned.

But I'm not sure I understand SPOERLE and his perception that China is bending the kneee to US influence. Far from it.

China is very much her own Master. She is, after all, the Middle Kingdom in more was than one and wields considerable influence in world economics and politics
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Metric System in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code