Menu
China' s military power worries Pentagon
Mar 3, 2008 21:50
  • ZOEY
On Monday, Pentagon submitted a report on China's military power in 2008. The report says that China's expanding military power is worrying Pentagon. The report boasting that China's lack of transparency poses stability risks.

"The lack of transparency in China's military and security affairs poses risks to stability by increasing the potential for misunderstanding and miscalculation," the report said on Monday.

The report also pointed that "China was fielding new intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of striking aircraft carriers and other warships at sea. It has also tested an anti-satellite weapon".

The report added that China's military modernization was being driven in the near-term by preparations for contingencies in the Taiwan Strait, including the possibility of US intervention in a crisis.

"China's total military spending in 2007 was between 97 and 139 billion dollars, more than double China's declared budget of 45 billion dollars, which rose by 17.8 percent in 2007 over the previous year". the report concluded.

The essence of report repeat the old cliche " China Threat". When will China and US end the hostile cliches?

A birdview of Pentagon

Mar 4, 2008 03:18
I don't think they'll anytime soon, as America today is the last remaining super-power after the cold war. With China's economy booming, having greater military power, the rapid development in weapons research and a greater population is a big concern for them as it is a great threat as it tips the scale in regards to military power and control.
Mar 4, 2008 10:56
  • GRIZ326
China is the only potential military threat to the USA today; so the generals are watching closely.

It is time for US generals and diplomats to return to school to study Chinese culture. Misunderstanding happens easily with so vast a language barrier.

Add to that the BULL-HEADED ignorance of so many in the USA who believe that we should be able to dictate solutions to some other country... (I am certain there is an equal precentage of BULL-HEADED people in China) and the future is fraught with peril if both nations do not work together.

Mar 4, 2008 19:12
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Nah. China is not a threat to anyone. And I can say this with confidence knowing that the most important people in my life are just 1700 miles away from China.
Mar 4, 2008 20:05
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Quote: "Nah. China is not a threat to anyone. And I can say this with confidence knowing that the most important people in my life are just 1700 miles away from China. "

We ordinary people think so, but the politicians don' t think so. They are more influential than us. Shetobe, what do you mean by "the most important people in my life are just 1700 miles away from China. " Do you have some Chinese relatives? They helped me a lot?
Mar 5, 2008 12:16
  • JCNILE123
It is not the China’s military power that worries the Pentagon.
But (The lack of transparency in China's military), as they claim.
Mar 5, 2008 20:02
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"...what do you mean by "the most important people in my life are just 1700 miles away from China."

I was talking about my family and friends, Frank. ^_^
Mar 5, 2008 20:05
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Me thinks politicians are not any more powerful than anyone. We just let them have the power, that’s the difference.
Mar 5, 2008 21:38
GUEST6746 "It is not the China’s military power that worries the Pentagon.
But (The lack of transparency in China's military), as they claim."

Do you really believe that there is "transparency" in military and defense? The " so-called " military transparency" nearly exist in military. All the countries are developing the powerful weapons or nuclear test in secret. I thought US did the same thing.
Mar 7, 2008 22:47
GUEST32205 Reason why china modernizing their military power!

1. Taiwan must take back the runaway province by dialogue or by force, if by force, China need to grow ever stronger force to PREVENT INTERVENTION OF THE US FORCE. China know they only have one chance to get Taiwan back and they know US will join force with Taiwanese force. China know if they lose the war, Taiwan will be runaway province and declare National Independence. China economy will collapse (world sanction) and China will be back to the time called "Third World Country" (POOR NATION). Will take another 60 years back to where China is now! Therefore, China must calculate every perspective to a win win war.

We all know what is delaying the Unify China and Taiwan is US Backing Taiwan.

In the next 3 - 7 years China Military continue to grow ever stronger. The chinese know if they cannot win the war, at least they can cause trememdous ...... to slow the US or cripple the US in some way. Think about the Korean War, where million chinese fought with a broomstick to end the war with the US. Now think about million chinese holding an automatic rifle along with large missles???????? Dont want to think about it!

Mar 7, 2008 22:56
GUEST32205 We all know China increasing the military spending to have a good war with the American forces. So why the F*@K the American keep asking the Chinese "WHY INCREASE MILITARY SPENDING??" Gets who is in the way when the chinese want to take back Taiwan and guess who is sticking his nose in the conflick????

NEED MORE TO SAY!!!!!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: China' s military power worries Pentagon
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code