Menu
Wisdom is in the head and not in the beard?
Mar 5, 2008 03:12
  • SUMMERSNOW
I read an English credo: "wisdom is in the head and not in the beard." I try to search this credo on the net, but only to find that it was said by Aesop. What does it exactly mean? I can't figure out? Is there a fable about the origin of credo? It seems to me that this saying was employed by a woman to criticize a man. Does it mean " hi old man, though you have long bear, you are totally ignorant."? Can anyone help, please?
Mar 5, 2008 10:42
  • GRIZ326
I do not remember this from the fables, however, I will take a go of it:

Men with beards often stroke them as they consider a point. To look at them you would think that stroking their beards helped them to make the decision...but the decision is made in the brain.

Does that help?

Mar 5, 2008 19:48
  • SUNNYDREAM
In Chinese, we have a saying " 聪明的脑瓜不长毛", which means a smart guy usually has little hair or no hair on the scalp. Does this saying have the similar meaning to the credo?
Mar 6, 2008 08:13
  • YEMMIE
I'll add my two cents worth. I would say it means age does not guarantee wisdom. In other words, just because you are old enough to grow a beard (if you are male), does not mean that you are wise. You gain wisdom by having an active mind that seeks to learn from experience.
Mar 8, 2008 21:09
  • LEONARDO
I agree with what Yemmie said: " it means age does not guarantee wisdom". There is no equivalence between age and wisdom.
Mar 9, 2008 03:45
  • DODGER
I think Yemmie is correct..just becauce you are old it does not mean that wisdom have been given to you. I have a grey beard and still make silly mistakes.
Dodger.
Mar 9, 2008 04:03
In Chinese, we have a saying " 聪明的脑瓜不长毛", which means a smart guy usually has little hair or no hair on the scalp. Does this saying have the similar meaning to the credo?

I don't this applies to me, I have little hair left and I'm as daft as a brush!
I agree with Griz about the stroking of a beard, I had one for 25 years and I was always stroking mine when pondering over something.
Alan
Mar 9, 2008 04:14
  • CARLOS
"In Chinese, we have a saying " 聪明的脑瓜不长毛", which means a smart guy usually has little hair or no hair on the scalp."
We have quite similar saying : Hair and wisdom don´t stay in same head.

I too agree with Yemmie.

Carlos
Mar 9, 2008 17:05
  • TIGERPAUL
I have a question,

2 men are both thinking about something, one man has a beard and is stroking it, the other is scratching his forehead like Stanley Laurel.

Who is the intelligent one?
Mar 9, 2008 19:15
  • JCNILE123
Gray matter is in the brain not the hair,

Ignorant me if I claim to be smart just because of some hair on my face.

Ignorant you if you think i am smart, just because of some hair on my face.

If i am an ignorant, not matter how old i can be, ignorant i will remain.

An old bamboozle ignorant that is.
Mar 9, 2008 19:38
  • SHESGOTTOBE
We can’t know if a person is smart just by appearances. If people are that easy to read, life would be simpler but boring. ^_^
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Wisdom is in the head and not in the beard?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code