Menu
Travel from chongqing to Lijiang
Mar 7, 2008 20:00
  • SARAHANGEL
In April I am travelling around China (overland, as we are on a budget). We are getting the overnight train from xi'an to Chongqing and i have been told there is a bus from Chongqing to Lijiang (later travelling to dali and Kunming). Can anyone supply more information about possible bus routes to lijiang from Chongqing.
Thank you.
Mar 7, 2008 21:16
  • ELLYSE
I haven't heard of any Chongqing -- Lijiang buses. You should try to get to Chengdu or even Panzhihua, both will have buses going to Lijiang, Panzhihua is closer.
Mar 7, 2008 21:37
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Sarah,

The bus from Chonqqing in one stint is a bit to much to ask for any traveller.

http://www.maps-of-china.net/p_chongqing_map.html

http://www.maps-of-china.net/p_sichuan_map.html

Can I suggest leaving Chongqing buy short haul bus to Yibin, an interesting little city on the Yangzte where you can pick up the train to Panzhihua.

Overnight train gets in early in the morning and if you transfer immediately to the bus station across town you'll be on the first bus to Lijinag and have a few minutes to buy breakfast. Lunch stop comes around three in the afternoon so have some snacks for the trip.

This is one of the best bus trips in daylight which follows theYangtze wast through the mountains from Panzhihua

Alternatively, take the bus all the way to Panzhihua making stops at the larger centres like Xichang where you could take the train to Panzhihua in daylight. This, I've heard is a stunning ride along the valley.

Bus from Panzhihua to Lijiang can take anywhere between 9 to 12 hours depending on the conditions. Much of the road is at altitude, hugging the tops of ridges only descending to cross rivers or passes into another valley.

I have only taken one overnight bus in the dessert regions of Gansu on mostly flat and straight roads which were constantly under reconstruction.

Southern CQ, Sichuan and Yunnan are not the places you want to be on night buses for ten or twelve hours or more.

Read my Travel Reviews on the region and MSG me if you have any other concerns. You could also contact me when you arrive in town.

Safe travels
J
Nov 16, 2011 12:09
GUESTSAID_TMM Hi Jabaarootoo

Thank u for your well described entry which makes it lot easier for us travelers to travel and see wonderful places in China.
Recently me and my friends are planning to travel from Chongqing to Dali by bus. We would like to avoid any train routes........So can you please recommend us some ways of how we can make it happen??
wud like to hear from u soon......thankss
Nov 16, 2011 20:04
GUEST32488
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTSAID_TMM View Post

Hi Jabaarootoo

Thank u for your well described entry which makes it lot easier for us travelers to travel and see wonderful places in China.
Recently me and my friends are planning to travel from Chongqing to Dali by bus. We would like to avoid any train routes........So can you please recommend us some ways of how ...

Go to Chongqing Bus Station to take long distance bus to Kunming first. Then you can take long distance bus from Kunming to Dali at Xibukeyunzhan. It takes about 4.5 hours.
Post a Reply to: Travel from chongqing to Lijiang
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code