Menu
Traveling from Hong Kong to Yangshuo through Guilin
Mar 10, 2008 14:12
  • JORN89
Hi there,

I'm a Dutch student and I'm planning a trip to Yangshuo near Guilin. While planning there was a problem.

I'm travelling from Amsterdam to Hong Kong, and then to Guilin. But my plane will arive there late in the evening, approximately 2130.
My question is: is it possible to take a taxi all the way to Yangshuo from Guilin airport? Because we don't want to find our way through the city at night.
Or is there a hotel near the airport?

Thank you in advance, and kind regards

Jorn
Mar 10, 2008 20:50
  • JOYCECN
yes..you could take taxi from aieport...it must cost 150rmb i bet
Mar 10, 2008 21:00
  • ELLYSE
I think the going price would be about 200 RMB from Guilin airport to Yangshuo.
You might want to arrange for an airport transfer from the place that you'll be staying at.
Look on http://www.yangers.com/Guilin_to_Yangshuo.htm as well.
Mar 10, 2008 21:45
  • BARONTWANGLE
A taxi to Yangshuo from Guilin airport will take well over an hour, and although I can only guess at the price, I would imagine it would be at least 300 - possibly more at night. If your flight lands on time and your bags come out in reasonable time (before 10pm), I would get a taxi to Guilin Train station, where you can get the bus to Yangshuo for 12 - 15 Yuan (depending how good you are at bargaining!). Last time I was there, they ran every 30 minutes until midnight. Guilin airport is quite a way from the city, so the taxi will still take a while.

If you are delayed however, I would get a hotel in Guilin for the night, and go to Yangshuo on the bus the following morning. The best bus to take in this instance is from the bus station (not the train station). This will also cost 15 yuan, but will be faster and more comfortable. As you will no longer be in a hurry to get from the airport to the city, take the shuttle bus which is far cheaper than a taxi (less than 10 yuan).
Mar 11, 2008 07:17
  • JABAROOTOO
Agree with last post.

A pre-arranged taxi from Yangshuo to Guilin airport cost us Y150 three years ago but if you have to take a taxi from the airport to Yangshuo after 10.00pm it may well cost you Y300 plus.

Check if there is a shuttle bus before you take a taxi

Of course if you are travelling in a small group then the taxi fare will be worth it because you will be sharing the cost but for one person it is a lot.
Mar 11, 2008 07:19
  • JABAROOTOO
Check for shuttle bus into Guilin. There is definateley no shuttle service to Yangshuo
Mar 11, 2008 11:28
  • JORN89
Thanks a lot for all your comments =)
They all help me a lot.

Jabarootoo, can you tell me how to get myself a pre-arranged taxi? I've been searching for this kind of service on the site of the airport, and several taxi campanies. But I can't find it.
Also, I'm not staying at a hotel or anything, but at a school in yangshuo. So i don't have the possibilty to arrange something with the hotel.

I think I'll take a taxi anyway, no matter the costs, because a hotel will also cost me money. And due to unfortionate flying schedules i'll also have to stay one night in hong kong, so i'll want to arrive at yangshuo as soon as possible.
Mar 12, 2008 00:05
  • JABAROOTOO
Jorn89,
Sorry I can't give you any more on the pre arranged taxi. We left from Yangshuo to go to the airport. Opposite direction and it is very easy to arrange from Yangshuo.

Have you considered asking the school to meet you or arrange your transport from the airport. If it is a volunteer job they should at least meet you.
Mar 12, 2008 02:43
  • BARONTWANGLE
Jorn89.

If you are doing any work for the school, then they should collect you. If you are just using it as a place to stay for free, then you are not saving yourself much money. A decent hotel room in Yangshuo only costs 50 Yuan (but you can get much cheaper!). So if the taxi costs you 300, then that is 6 days accommodation.

I wouldn't stress yourself out about pre-booking taxis, as there really is no need. You sound like someone who is not experienced at travelling, but don't worry. Here is how simple it is...... Arrive at Guilin airport, clear customs, and collect your bags. This shouldn't take too long as it is only a small airport. You now have 2 choices - either get the shuttle bus into the city (and get a taxi to the train station), or get a normal taxi from the airport all the way to the train station. The former will be cheaper, but the latter quicker. As long as the taxi driver uses the meter, then you will not be ripped off. If he doesn't want to use the meter (very unlikely), then ask him to turn it on, or just refuse to go with him and get another one. There will be plenty of taxis there. Don't accept a taxi ride from someone standing in the airport. Go outside to where the taxis are parked.

When you get to the train station, there will be a bus to Yangshuo. I think they run up to midnight (possibly later). As I said before, this will cost 15 yuan, and take just over an hour. In case you are not aware, the distance from Guilin airport to Yangshuo is over 100kms! It is not a short journey.

The good news for you is that Guilin and Yangshuo are very foreigner friendly places. You can always find people to help you, and many people speak English. Don't worry, and have fun.
Mar 12, 2008 10:41
  • JORN89
I'll ask my contact on the school if he can arrange something, since I will be doing voluntary work there.

If that's not possible, I think I'll follow your advice and take the taxi to the train station and from there take the bus. I didn't know they'd still depart after midnight, for all i heard the busses only went to yangshuo untill about 9pm.

Thanks a lot for your advice! =)
Post a Reply to: Traveling from Hong Kong to Yangshuo through Guilin
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code