Menu
How do you handle thieves when you catch them on the scene?
Mar 11, 2008 03:08
guest5318 How do you handle thieves when you catch them on the scene?

If the thieves are stealing others, will you call the police out of justice?
Are you going to be bold enough to catch the thieves?

Suppose a thief is picking your pocket and you notice that, what will you do? Will you fist him? Beat him with your powerful fists. Or you just do nothing but let him go? Or you will teach him a lesson?

Mar 11, 2008 05:46
The first action is to call the police, then if you are able, detain the the thief ( bearing mind they might be carrying a weapon ) until the police arrive,
Regarding a pickpocket, I have caught one trying to pick my pocket, much my surprise is was a young lady and I told her she was too late, l had already had my wallet stolen earlier that day, so I let her off, if it had been a man I would have punched his lights out! and yes, I am very much able.
Alan
Mar 11, 2008 20:23
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Beat him, grab him, overpower him, drag him to the police if you can. If not, don’t try to be a hero and get yourself killed especially if the thief has a gun or a knife. Your wallet is not worth your life. You’d be able to do more if you are alive. Call the police once you are at a safe distance from him. This would mean you should have a phone ready at all times.
Mar 11, 2008 22:52
  • LEONARDO
I am in favor of Shegottobe' s idea. Don't try to be a hero if you are not in a vulnerable condition. Life is more valuable than money. If you are strong enough to overpower the thieves, that is pretty cool. For most ladies, IMO, it would be wise to let the thieves go under the circumstance that no one else is
in the presence.
Mar 12, 2008 23:16
  • GRIZ326
Interesting question and not easy to answer. Police response times in the USA are slow; whatever is happening would be over long before the police arrive. That pretty much leaves what happens in my hands; not the police.

Are we talking about a 12 year old boy or a hardened criminal?
Is the crook scared and submissive or is the crook threatening and aggressive?

Circumstances determine your course of action.
Mar 13, 2008 21:25
  • RITA
I heard usually they work as group at least as pairs, when you catch him, what he steals may be already transfered to his partners.
I agree that our life values much more than we lose, the thief may not want to kill you but when one is desperate, you never know what he is capable of.
THis sounds depressing, it's like when you get stolen, bad luck, let it go. I think try to get help from people around you may be a good idea, and call the police asap.
Mar 13, 2008 22:48
  • GARYKINKADE
For the women,carry a can of mace spray if it is legal to do so in China.
Mar 14, 2008 03:37
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I agree with SHESGOTTOBE and Steve,

A wallet is not worth our life and American cops take forever to respond to anything. But I wont lie, I have a vindictive nature to want to retaliate.
Mar 14, 2008 22:03
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"But I wont lie, I have a vindictive nature to want to retaliate."

LOL! Danny, what are you planning to do? You'd stick a knife to his throat and try to rob him too? Just kidding.

Just to add, if ever. *knocks on wood*

Try to remember his face, mannerisms, body marks such as scars or tattoo, hair type, straight or curly, short or long, left handed or right handed, height and body built. If he has a car, memorize the plate number and take note of the make/model/color. This way, if the police ask you to give a statement, you can give as much detail as possible to help with the crime. Yea, it would be good if there are witnesses who are not afraid to give statements. If he dropped something or if he throws a cigarette butt or anything with DNA, he’s dead!
Mar 15, 2008 01:00
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
LOL I wouldn't go that far, SHESGOTTOBE. I just meant that if the opportunity came that I could rob the thief with his own weapon, I would. But of course, that situation seems to only happen in movies. Or kick his ass.
Mar 15, 2008 21:26
  • DODGER
In Oz a large percentage of crime is drug related. Often performed by drug addicts who are “High” So to confront them and corner them can be very dangerous.
They rob so that they can feed their habit.
Some years ago a friend of mine was woken by a noise in his bedroom and saw a shadow moving around. He is 6.5 and 250 pounds and at the time a Pro wrestler. He was terrified and took some time before he decided to make the confrontation. After he had overcome the thief after breaking both arms and a jaw he turned on the light to discover the Bloke was 5.6 and about 120 pounds dripping wet.
But the funny part of this storey is that the Thief wanted to sue for damages.
Fortunately the Police, after suggesting to him that they leave him with my friend a little longer decided to drop the charge.
Dodger.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How do you handle thieves when you catch them on the scene?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code