Menu
Help on Visas for me & my son
Mar 11, 2008 10:10
Hi,
I'm new here and I'm researching about the visa requirements for China. My husband is going to work in Guangzhou very soon (for a year) unfortunately the company doesn't offer the visas for me & my son, thus we have to file for that by our selves. I'm Indonesian (Green Card holder) and my son hold a dual citizen status with 2 passports both US & Indonesian. I've looked up the Chinese consulate website and they had the multiple entry visa valid for 12 months and I thought that'd be suitable for us. Now, my question is, with this type of visa how does it really works? Should we leave China every couple of months or we could just stay there for a whole year?

Thanks guys oh and plz expect me to come back again & asking more questions LOL.
Mar 11, 2008 19:37
  • G8WAY2CHINA
I'm going to make this quite brief, as this and similar topics have been exhaustively discussed and detailed in this forum on numerous occasions in the past. If you're wanting to remain in China for a period longer than 3 months, then you can either apply for and then keep extending your F-visa (which is valid for 3 months atg a time) or you can apply for a Z-visa which is valid for 12 months. Note that, upon being issed the Z-visa, you need to register with your local police station in order to get the residence permit. Without that, your stay in China is essentially illegal. As for your second question, if you apply for a zero-entry Z-visa, then you'd have to remain in China. If you apply for a multiple-entry Z-visa, then you can come and go as you please and as often as you like. I assume that you would prefer this freedom of movement; if this is so, then applying for a multiple-entry Z-visa (along with the residence permit!) is your best option. Note, however, that the government and the police station tend to be more stringent when it comes to handing out Z-visas. This is becoming increasingly the case and is something only the fewest of people wanting to come to China are aware of.

Good luck with your application. If you have any troubles with applying for the above document, then get in touch with me (yahoo.com|chriscookson.ieera), as the organization I work for is highly experienced and reliable in submitting visa applications to the government and actively getting them approved, no matter which nationality you are.
Mar 12, 2008 03:01
  • BARONTWANGLE
My understanding and experience is somewhat different to the above entry. Unless you or your son are also planning to work in China, then you can just come on a tourist L visa. As standard, this usually has a maximum of 90 days for tourism purposes, but if you can show that you are staying with family (as you are) then it is possible to get a much longer one (probably to the same duration as your husbands visa). This would be much easier to get than a Z visa.

Being based in Guangzhou, it is only 1.40hr on the train to Hong Kong, where it is very easy to get a new L visa issued on the same day. As long as you apply before noon, you can collect it after 6pm. My advice is to use CTS agency who have a branch situated at Hung Hom station (the one you would arrive into from GZ). They are cheaper than if you go to the official China visa office, and you won't have the hassle of waiting in line either. So even if you only get a 90 day L visa, it is very easy to get the train to HK for the day every 3 months and get a new visa. It's not the cheapest way, but something to consider if your options start becoming reduced.
Mar 12, 2008 09:04
Thanks G8WAY2CHINA & BARONTWANGLE for your replies. I'm sorry if this questions had been posted gazillion times before.

I think I agree with Barontwangle's explanation as it sounds more convenient for us since neither my son and I will be working in China only my husband and he will have his Z visa taken care of by the company. Ok, so with the multiply entry visa (valid for 12 months) we could stay there for 90 consecutive days right? Coz I was thinking if not then I could always fly to Indonesia and get a new L visa at the airport on our way back (I read you could get this visa on arrival).

But I do appreciate you giving me your e-mail G8way! I'll keep that for further usage if we have to.

Thanks again!

Mar 12, 2008 09:10
  • APAULT
I agree with the Baron: if you are not working you should be able to get a visa as a family accompanying your husband.

In fact, everyone is responsible for aplying for their own visa, though a person's employer may assist. Iwonder how much your husband NEEDS this posting/job - Good employers would assist the family to get a visa.

If you hold dual citizenship, consider applying as an Indonesian as I think you will find the fees much cheaper.

Mar 12, 2008 09:18
Thanks Apault.

My husband really really wants to get this job as he's looking forward to somehow get his asian aviation license (he already have the US one/FAA) and think this is a good chance to do so. Unfortunately, the company only offer his visa not ours but I'm trying to get him to make a bargain of some sort through the headhunter but if this will not work then we'll have to get that ourselves. I am well aware that most company who hires expats normally take care of the family's visa as well but I don't know if it's because they're a chinese company or what.

Thanks for your info about dual citizenship visa too, I saw on one of the Chinese consulate website here the fee for L visas are pretty much the same regardless of the citizenships but maybe different consulate have different policies? I'm not sure. I'll have to check more about this.

Mar 12, 2008 11:10
  • BARONTWANGLE
I think US passport holders pay more than other nationals (quite funny and satisfying really!). You can't get an L visa upon arrival into Mainland China. You either need to get it in Hong Kong, or in Indonesia. If you can get a multi entry visa, you can stay as many consecutive days as you like, as long as you depart before the visa expires. So if you get 12 months, then can stay for 365 consecutive days.
Mar 12, 2008 13:38
Wow, I didn't even realized that Baron, thanks for the info!
I read about the visa on arrival somewhere but maybe it's an out of date info.
Once again many thanks!
Mar 15, 2008 06:48
  • G8WAY2CHINA
Hello Guys. I would just like to say something in my defense. The way I interpreted the original enquiry is that what is (or was) being desired is a stay in excess of 90 days. Indeed, an L-visa suffices perfectly for purposes of tourism , as it were, or for a stay (during which no employment is undertaken by the visa holder) of 90 days or less. However, if you're talking about a period for longer than that, i.e. if you're wanting to remain in the country for 12 months or for longer than 6 months, then applying for and being in the possession of a Z-visa is law. I hope that's clarified now.
Mar 16, 2008 03:35
  • APAULT
But in China there is LAW and there is what really happens!!
Mar 20, 2008 22:40
  • BARONTWANGLE
Since when has it been Chinese law to have to hold a Z visa for a stay of longer than 6 months?!! You can stay for 12 months on an L visa if it is for the purpose of visiting family (as is the case here).
Post a Reply to: Help on Visas for me & my son
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code