Menu
HELP: 15 days in China in August, what to do?
Mar 11, 2008 18:10
guest16173 I'm going to Beijing for the Olympics, but I have 9 days to spare and don't know how to spend them, I've never been to China but I'm very openminded to any adice or tip as to where I can spend my time in China. Anyone know of a good interesting pretty and quiet place with not too many turists, somewhere with nature and somewhere where not speaking Chinese is not the biggest issue in the world. Preferably somewhere with bus or train connections to Beijing and somewhere not too far away from Vietnam as that is where I will be going from? Thank you so much. Can't wait to hear from you.
Mar 11, 2008 22:22
GUEST29194 I don not know that have you ever hear about yellow mountain ,a place famou as rocks formations, pines, yun hai(sea of cloud),etc. the most impotant is that it only take you only 2hours from beijing to yellow mountain by plane!
I can tell you more about this place ,just contact E-mail:hurongfeng0559@hotmail,com

Mar 12, 2008 00:32
  • JABAROOTOO
Outside the big cities, not speaking Chinese will always be an issue but you can manage if you have the patience and the right attitude and plenty of information about where you are going.

If you are looking for somewhere that sees less tourists, has places and people of interest, and close to Vietnam, then you should research Guangxi and Guizhou Provinces.

Both have loads to offer and while both have some busy tourist locations they have plenty of others that are not too difficult to get to.

And these have reasonable bus and train connections.

Needless to say many of us think you are nuts to be here during the Olympics. I'm leaving the country for the month of August.
Mar 12, 2008 01:39
GUEST68206 If anyone need rental apartment on Olympics period or any other time,
please contact with me: yahoo.com|rudywilson541

I live in Beijing.
Mar 12, 2008 03:20
  • BARONTWANGLE
Agree with Jabarootoo. I would get as far from Beijing as possible in order to get some peace and quiet. You will have language problems if you go anywhere where foreign tourism is not very well established. Of course, all these places will be very busy during August! Places such as Yangshuo will be ok, as you will have no language problems, and even if it is busy, you can rent a bicycle and go off through the rice fields and along the Yulong river for some peace and quiet (if you know where to go!). I would also look at southern Yunnan. You can't get closer to Vietnam than this (you can walk there!), and it is very far from Beijing, so could be more quiet. You would need to fly to Kunming from Beijing (about 3 hours).
Mar 12, 2008 04:51
GUEST16173 Thank you SO much for your replies! I appreciate it a lot. Yes I know it is nuts to be in Beijing for the Olympics, but there's a big chance my brother is going to win a gold medal, so it's something I have got to witness. Due to your advices I will now stay away from Beijing until my brother is racing and I will look into the places you have suggested. Needless to say, that if any of you, know of a place/hostel/guesthouse where I could stay for a week in Beijing, please do let me know. Thank you all once again.
Mar 12, 2008 06:31
  • BARONTWANGLE
Gold Medal huh? What event?

All hostels/hotels/etc will be booked up and expensive for the Olympic period. I could give you a couple of suggestions for central Beijing, but it wouldn't put you near the stadium. Try either the Haina Hotel or the Haiyun Hotel, both situated within walking distance of Dongzhimen subway (useful for getting to most of the events). Phone numbers are 84071641 and 84060281 respectively. They are not big international hotels, so I can't promise there will be an English speaking person to answer the phone, but you can try. The rooms are clean and well facilitated, and usually you can get a double room for about 300 yuan. However, obviously it will be more during the Olympics.

Good luck.
Post a Reply to: HELP: 15 days in China in August, what to do?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code