Menu
finally coming to China
Mar 13, 2008 13:42
  • JEDWARD
Well I have at last managed to finalize my travel plans. I am arriving in Beijing 26 May, 2008. Then Shanghai, Hangzhou, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Guanzhou and Honk Kong-leaving from H.K. I haven't decided yet how long in each city nor about hotels and domestic travel. Lots of time but I am hoping to get lots of good advice. I am travelling alone and hope to meet people and guides etc. Thanks in advance
Mar 13, 2008 18:54
  • BILLCAI
Hello,
Welcome to China. This is Bill from Guangzhou, I know this city well, I think maybe I can give you some advices of your stay in Guangzhou. If any question, please drop me an email: hotmail.com|caijun_Bill, or call me at:+86 15975607958.
Wish you enjoy a great trip in China.
Bill
Mar 13, 2008 21:40
  • BARONTWANGLE
Beijing and Hangzhou will probably be the highlights of your trip. The danger with the order you are doing things in is that in your excitement of being in China, you will rush at the beginning and miss the best bits. There really isn't much to in Guangzhou for tourists, so don't plan to spend too long there. And you will only need a couple of nights in HK. However, you cold spend a week in Beijing and not get bored. So just realise that you are starting in the best place and make the most of it while you are there, rather than rushing to move on.
Mar 13, 2008 23:01
GUEST29194 May be that you have not hear about yellow mountain ,a place famou as rocks formations, pines, yun hai(sea of cloud),etc.if you interest in this place ,please contact my
e-mail:hotmail.com|hurongfeng0559.
Hope you have good journey in China !
Mar 14, 2008 16:01
  • JEDWARD
Thanks for the advice. Like I said I really haven't established my itinerary as yet so this is the kind of information I am looking for. I probably will spend more time in Beijing. However, I have read that in the weeks leading up to the olympics many attractions may be closed or still being fixed up and therefore less accessible to tourists. Is this not so? Also, can anyone advise what is a reasonable amount to pay for a private guide/
Thanks again
Mar 14, 2008 23:35
  • ELLYSE
No, almost all the sights are now finished with renovations. I think the only one still under scaffolding is the Hall of Supreme Harmony in Forbidden City.
Mar 20, 2008 22:20
  • BARONTWANGLE
Ellyse is right. I was in Beijing yesterday and everything seems to be open and ready for the hell which is otherwise known as the Olympics. However, many parts of the Forbidden City are still covered by scaffolding, but it is not as bad as it has been over the past couple of years. It is very obvious that they will not finish renovating all the buildings before August. I guess they will have to temporarily stop, and then continue after the chaos has died down. The good news is that the ticket price for the Forbidden City is now only 40 Yuan. It used to be 80, and will go up to 120 soon!

Tian Tan is now fully open, as is everywhere else I can think of. The new line 5 of the subway makes getting around much easier too, and ticket prices have been reduced to 2 yuan. Long may that last!

Post a Reply to: finally coming to China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code