Menu
High heels or sneakers?
Mar 13, 2008 19:11
  • CANADAGUY
Continuing on with some of my observations from my latest trip to China.

I was struck by the fashion choices of women in Guangzhou; in particular their choice of footwear.

99+ % of the women fell into one of two camps on any given day, with respect to their footwear.

They either wore high heels (usually a boot) or sneakers.
I used to play a game with my friend, calling the high heels #1 and the sneakers #2.

As each woman passed by on the street I'd call out #1 or #2.

Are these the two most popular types of footwear for women in all of China?
Mar 13, 2008 20:07
  • ICEBLUE
Boot is a trendy footwear for Chinese women in Spring and Winter. Woolen skirts and boots match well. Jeans match both boots and sneakers. I think they are the most popular types of footwear for Chinese women.
Mar 13, 2008 20:38
  • CANADAGUY
Thanks Iceblue for the inside scoop!

Part of my game was kidding that the #1 woman probably wore high heels most of the time and the #2 woman probably wore sneakers most of the time.

Do you think this would be an accurate assessment? If so, are you a 'high heels - type' woman or a 'sneakers-type' woman?

Mar 13, 2008 21:21
  • ICEBLUE
Canadaguy, I try to bear a sense of ocassion in my mind. As an OL, (office lady), in the workweeks, I dress profesionally. Sneakers are certainly excluded from " Office Dressing". When I take the days off, I usually dress up casually. Sneakers and jeans are my casual fittings. It might be hasty to generalize " women" into "two types". Most women belong to the "mixed type".
Mar 14, 2008 10:47
  • JABAROOTOO
Most women in China where high heels of some degree on almost all occasions. I have been out hiking with friends and they will wear their heels while I'm in flats, which I tend to wear hear for safety reasons more than anything else.

I have enough trouble not tripping or twisting an ankle in flat shoes and when I do on the odd occasion put on low 'heel' they catch in every crack and turn at the slightest opportunity.

In fact I lost the rubber heel tip off one shoe the very first time I wore them outside. I went back two days later and found it but have since lost the other one.

I do notice a lot of older women wearing flats and some women who spend a lot of time on their feet also wearing low heels.

But the click clack of heels on pavements and tiles is not going to diminish in a hurry. Heels are here to stay.......
Mar 14, 2008 19:30
  • CANADAGUY
>> Most women in China where high heels of some degree on almost all occasions. I have been out hiking with friends and they will wear their heels while I'm in flats, which I tend to wear hear for safety reasons more than anything else.<<

My girlfriend is very adept in high heels too, which she wears most of the time. I was quite impressed by her talent. I kept my eye on the sidewalk and road as we walked and she always managed to avoid the cracks, crevices, pot-holes and grates along the way.
Meanwhile I managed to twist my ankle a couple of times in my flats! :)

>>...But the click clack of heels on pavements and tiles is not going to diminish in a hurry. Heels are here to stay....... <<

Yes I would have to agree with you on this.
Post a Reply to: High heels or sneakers?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code