Menu
A genius equals 1% inspiration plus 99% perspiration?
Feb 6, 2009 05:31
GUEST48130 Everybody has genius in them but you need to work to bring it out.
May 28, 2009 20:11
  • OABMARCUS
there is this 13 year old boy in my Differential Equations class. I don't know how much I have to perspire, but I doubt that most 13 year old can do what he can do.
Oct 29, 2009 11:28
GUEST28151 can you tell me everything about this quote in detail
Dec 4, 2009 03:28
GUEST29212 This quote,madeby Edison, is somewhat true. 1% of ideas+99% of effort= a really good inventor, not a genuis. Take Enstien, didn't know how to comb his hair or tie his shoes but he comosed the theroy of relativity and what energy is equal to. But to be a genuis your ideas and effort must come together and mesh to make a clear picture. A genius in the form of Enstien is the normal human being using I believe it's about 15% of your actual brain where most people use 5%. On like on the 12th post. That kid may be using anywhere from 7% to12% of his brain. Still the 3% he's missing could take a lifetimeto achieve.To be a genius you have to produce effort on your ideas.
Jan 15, 2010 09:55
GUEST08339 I think it is accurate. One may be a genius without the hard work, but all their intelligence matterrs not if they don't put forth the effort, and that effort is of far more importance than the idea itself in making that idea come to fruition. Nevertheless, without that 1% inspiration, all the hard work in the world will not create genius. As a scientist, I am well aware that the work involved in seeing my ideas through is much much harder than developing the idea to begin with; and oftentimes, the work itself will lead to inspiration of more ideas. Thus, there are always far more ideas than can ever be developed into anything of worth, even if one hires people to do the work to develop the ideas created by others.
Apr 5, 2011 11:24
GUEST20874 "A book is never a masterpiece: it becomes one. Genius is the talent of a dead man"
Jun 6, 2011 14:08
GUEST29128 I didn't work hard in school yet constantly topped my grade every year. While my strongest competitors were buried in textbooks, I was glued to the NES, and their grades don't even come close to mine. I guess you could call that genius of an academic sort, and it has followed me into adulthood (though I can't say i have the same aptitude for other things in life). I believe potential exists in every person, but geniuses tend to be able to unleash more of their untapped capacity compared to an "ordinary" person given the same amount of effort, an can manage a good level of achievement beyond a typical individual even in a laid back state.
Sep 3, 2011 02:38
GUEST11155 I agree inspiration should have a higher percentage, but in my opinion the formula should also contain a percentage for knowing the right kind of people. In art for example I'd go with 30% inspiration+40% perspiration+30% people. For science 20% inspiration+70% perspiration+10% people.
Feb 20, 2012 00:16
GUEST20617 How I see it is if a soccer player wants to score a goal he can think it but he has to Putin the effort to score that goal
Aug 27, 2012 20:01
  • ALAN_TKT
I agree with you. Thomas Edison just wanted to tell us that sometimes perspiration was much more important than inspiration. Because inspiration is a thing that we cannot change. Just like the opportunity, yes, of cause, we have opportunities, and whether or not we can grab the opportunities, that is up to us. But if you miss an opportunity, will you be sure that another one will definitely come next time? So it is undeniable that inspiration is derived at random. What we can do now is just improving our own skills. That is to say, if you are industrious, intelligent and inspired, you MAY BE successful. But if you just keep waiting for the inspiration coming, and not to study, you will absolutely lose! No doubt!

So buddy, don't be so serious. Relax! Edison just wanted us to know how important the perspiration is! Thank you.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: A genius equals 1% inspiration plus 99% perspiration?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code