Menu
The only victory over love is flight.
Mar 18, 2008 04:50
guestfree The only victory over love is flight, said Napoleon Bonaparte. What does he mean. I can' t figure it out. The sentence is so illusive. Why need to escape love? How do understand it?
Mar 18, 2008 17:33
  • GARYKINKADE
Once a person is in love then they become a prisoner to it, and may have to escape from it in order to regain their senses? Geesh......I don't know..... Napoleon Bonaparte of course was a brilliant military strategist but maybe a little on the insecure side when it came to romance. A French person may have a good answer to your question.
Mar 18, 2008 18:36
  • MARRIE
guestfree, li bai's poem can explain somtheing. I guess LiBai was in love when he wrote his peom. ''the deeper someboday is in love, the more lonesome he feels' but it hard to explain what love is and that's why it becomes an endless topic.

repost:

Li Bai
DRINKING ALONE WITH THE MOON

From a pot of wine among the flowers
I drank alone. There was no one with me --
Till, raising my cup, I asked the bright moon
To bring me my shadow and make us three.
Alas, the moon was unable to drink
And my shadow tagged me vacantly;
But still for a while I had these friends
To cheer me through the end of spring....
I sang. The moon encouraged me.
I danced. My shadow tumbled after.
As long as I knew, we were boon companions.
And then I was drunk, and we lost one another.
...Shall goodwill ever be secure?
I watch the long road of the River of Stars.
Mar 18, 2008 20:17
  • SUNNYDREAM
Napoleon was a great military leader, but I am not sure if he is a caring lover or husband. I know little about Napoleon's personal life. Most documents recorded only about his military experience. Is there a movie about Napoleon and his lovers.
Oct 10, 2010 22:46
GUEST72220 Napoleon was in love with Josephine, an older who could not have children by the time they married. He stayed married to her for a long time but she broke his heart when he found out she had cheated on him. He was conquered by his love for her and could only win back control of his soul by leaving her.

His comment means that if you are conquered by love, that is, if you are beaten by love as distinct from finding healthy love, your only winning strategy is to leave.
Oct 13, 2010 11:10
  • CARLOS
Other quotes:

"Love in France is a comedy, in England a tragedy, in Italy an opera aria and in Germany a melodrama."
-Marguerite Blessington

"Love: a great mental disease."
-Plato

"Love is the reverse of the coin of which the obverse is Truth."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Nice words
...I think...

Carlos
Oct 15, 2010 04:36
  • CHERRY07
"Love in France is a comedy, in England a tragedy, in Italy an opera aria and in Germany a melodrama."

Then Love in Finland is what?
Oct 15, 2010 11:46
  • CARLOS
Love in Finland... let me see... making a generalization...perhaps cold, eh?

Carlos

Oct 17, 2010 22:23
  • CHERRY07
Quote:

Originally Posted by CARLOS

Love in Finland... let me see... making a generalization...perhaps cold, eh?

Carlos

Love in Finland is cold? How did you melt your wife's heart, Carlos?

The only victory over love is flight.

If you love a person but you can not give what she wants, then you may choose "flight". Leaving her is a good choice for you.
Oct 20, 2010 10:58
  • CARLOS
Aggree, Cherry, leaving would save the future life of two persons although for the one who is in that situation it would be a sacrifice.

How did I melt my wifes sub-tropical heart? I have earlier said that otherwise I am a Finn, cold and calm but my heart is italian...

Scitsophrenic, isn't it...

Carlos
Oct 20, 2010 22:25
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHERRY07

If you love a person but you can not give what she wants, then you may choose "flight". Leaving her is a good choice for you.

Do you really think it is a good choice to leave? Maybe, you can not give her best now. But you can give what she wants if you work hard and are finally successful.

Do not be a coward. Leaving can not help you solve your problem. You can leave but you don't know what she thinks. She might think of getting hardships together with you.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: The only victory over love is flight.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code