Menu
Chinese envelopes
Mar 19, 2008 18:15
  • CANADAGUY
I had some interesting experiences mailing, or trying to mail items in China.

I found it fascinating when I discovered that envelopes in China are manufactured without glue on them.

I wasn't entirely convinced when I heard the explanation for this.
Would someone care to shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Mar 19, 2008 19:47
  • JIMMYB
CANADAGUY, you are right. Not only the envelopes but also the stamps are manufactured without glue on them. However, the post office offers glue to people. I don't know why the envelopes and the stamps are manufactured without glue. Is it because of the high cost?
Mar 19, 2008 20:21
  • CANADAGUY
>>CANADAGUY, you are right. Not only the envelopes but also the stamps are manufactured without glue on them. <<

Interesting that the stamps don't have glue on them either.

>>I don't know why the envelopes and the stamps are manufactured without glue. Is it because of the high cost?

Actually now that I've thought about it a bit more, I wasn't given an explanation as to why they didn't add glue to their envelopes, but rather why they don't allow people to seal an envelope with cellophane tape.

I had an envelope that I had addressed, but when I noticed there wasn't any glue to seal it I reached for some cellophane tape.

My friend told me that I couldn't do that. The post office wouldn't allow it.

But I had a more frustrating experience when I went to the post office with a standard letter, to mail to Canada. It was sealed with the proper glue.

The post office opened my letter, took out the contents and placed them in a larger envelope.
And charged me for the larger envelope!

I don't know whether or not they wanted to check the contents of the envelope. But apparently
the size of my envelope was too small to go overseas.

Mar 19, 2008 22:09
  • JIMMYB
"I had an envelope that I had addressed, but when I noticed there wasn't any glue to seal it I reached for some cellophane tape.

My friend told me that I couldn't do that. The post office wouldn't allow it."

CANADAGUY, I once used cellophane to seal the envelope and it went to my friends successfully. But remember not to use cellophane to stick the stamp on the envelope. You see, your stamp will be stamped. If you use cellophane, the postmark can't be stamped on the stamp. Why is the stamp sealed? Because you can just use it once. Actually, some people can use a stamp several times. He just brushes glue on the stamp. When their friend receive the letter, he just erases the postmark with rubber and eases the stamp carefully. Then he uses it again to send his letter back.

"The post office opened my letter, took out the contents and placed them in a larger envelope.
And charged me for the larger envelope!"

Why did they change a large envelope? You should have asked the reason.

Mar 23, 2008 05:49
  • APAULT
Then there are my experiences. In August last year I sent a small parcel airmail from Chengdu to Australia. It cost 65rmb and I managed it all on my own. But today in a small city in Guangdong a similar package cost 157rmb. That's some inflation. The small cardboard box cost ony 1.5rmb, so that part was a bargain!

On this occasion it was totally impossible on my own... I had to go back to college and get help. Some difficulty was because the clerk needed to input to the computer the address it was going to, in Chinese - hey not every Australian location has a Chinese name. If anyone happens to know the Chinese for GYMEA please let me know! She also wanted my Chinese name, which I don't have, insisting I must have a Chinese name in my passport!!. I have never had these issues before.
Mar 24, 2008 17:47
  • CANADAGUY
>>Why did they change a large envelope? You should have asked the reason.<<

I'm still not sure why they made that change.
I later heard that foreign mail needs to be placed in a certain type of envelope (different than internal mail).

I haven't figured out the Chinese postal system yet by a long shot.

My friend told me that the reason they don't allow you to seal an envelope with cellophane tape was because it might damage their mail sorting machinery. ???

Mar 25, 2008 07:28
  • APAULT
What mail sorting machinery?
Mar 25, 2008 21:35
  • JIMMYB
"I'm still not sure why they made that change.
I later heard that foreign mail needs to be placed in a certain type of envelope (different than internal mail)."

CANADAGUY, I don't have that experience. I guess that you are correct that you need a cetain type of envelope to send your letter.

"My friend told me that the reason they don't allow you to seal an envelope with cellophane tape was because it might damage their mail sorting machinery. ???"

I seal my envelope with cellophane tape and it goes to my friend. I think that the post office use the same sorting machine to deal with letters. I guess that the only difference is that you mail items abroad and their might be some special requirements.
Sep 27, 2009 21:31
GUEST84118 What is the proper format for addressing an envelope to someone in China?
Sep 29, 2009 07:29
  • GAFFER
If you are sending mail from the west to China it is wise to have two address labels, one in English (or the languge of the country you are sending from) and one in Chinese characters. This speeds up sorting once the mail arrives in China and ensures it is delivered correctlly. Usually the Chinese ones are in reverse format, recipients name at the bottom and Country at the top. The actual address may be all in one line.
Oct 3, 2009 04:43
  • CARLOS
About the glue, in the south the humid is quite high. Perhaps there might be some problems with glued stamps and envelopes. Could it be the reason for not glueing them beforehand?

Carlos
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese envelopes
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code