Menu
Is it safe for foreigners in Wuzhou, Guangxi?
Mar 21, 2008 00:59
guest80245 I am considering whether it is safe to rent an apartment in Wuzhou, Guangxi as a foreigner?

1) Roughly how much is the going rate for 3 week rental?

2) Safety in general in this city, are there safe areas and areas to avoid in Wuzhou?
Mar 21, 2008 04:42
  • ELLYSE
I would say that all of China is generally safe for any foreigner.
Mar 21, 2008 06:00
  • BARONTWANGLE
I think that China is one of those places where everyone makes out it is far worse than it actually is. When I first came here, I was so paranoid after hearing about the "one hand gang" who chop off your arm with a sword just to get your watch, or the medical thieves who inject you with drugs to render you defenseless as they go through your pockets, leaving you in the street only in your underwear (if you are lucky!). In reality it is not like this at all, and as long as you are streetwise, nothing bad will happen to you. Just don't wear expensive jewelry, or walk down a long dark alley in the company of a strong strange man holding a knife. The worst that will happen to you is that you will be the victim of petty crime. However, these thieves generally rely on their victims not being aware, so you will dramatically reduce your chances of having something stolen if you are alert to the danger. Don't leave your bags unattended on buses or trains. Be aware that you are most at risk when you are asleep, so try not to sleep on buses, but if you do, make sure your bag is protected (lay on it, or ask someone who is not a thief to watch it for you!). Most importantly, don't let it be of such a concern that is ruins your experience. I think most cities in Europe or the US are more dangerous than in China.
Mar 26, 2008 08:00
  • JABAROOTOO
Wuzhou is a lovely little city and like anywhere in the world you should be careful if you are out late on your own in dimly lit places.

Short term rental for foreigners may not be an option in Wuzhou unless you have a contact there to arrange it all for you.

But you should be able to get something for less than Y1000 if available.
Apr 4, 2008 22:28
guangxi has man thieves and robbers and alot of drugys
Apr 5, 2008 23:12
  • APAULT
I have travelled in Guangxi, but not visited Wuzhou. It is extremely unlikely that there are more theives than in most western towns. Some cities have a reputation for crime, but it is relative, they may be worse than other cities, but still much safer than western cities.

Sure, crime is a major problem in China, but most of it is white collar crime (and this is acknowledged by the government and it is slowly tackling the issue).

As for druggies, the government is keen to prevent the drug problems of the west and is inclined to use scare tactics. You are unlikely to see needles or other symptoms of illegal drug abuse. By far the greatest drug addiction in China is nicotine, (as in the west) but so far the government has done little to try and eradicate this major killer.
Apr 6, 2008 04:24
  • BARONTWANGLE
The only problem you will have in Guanxi is bumping into member 2468! What a freak!
Post a Reply to: Is it safe for foreigners in Wuzhou, Guangxi?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code