Menu
Rate my itinerary....
Mar 24, 2008 14:07
  • IDEOLOGY
Hi Guys,

Im travelling to China this year and would appreciate if you could rate this itinerary. I am flying into HK on the 3rd June and out of Hangzhou on 8th July so I have a good bit of time to at least scratch the surface of China, Chinese culture and customs!

I have a rough itinerary incl:

HK June 3rd – June 6th
Guangzhou June 6th – June 8th
Yangshou June 8th – June 12th
Guiyang June 12th – June 13th
Chongqing June 14 – 16th
Chengdu June 16th – June 20th
Xian June 20th – June 23rd
Pangyao June 23rd – June 25th
Beijing June 25th – July 2rd (overnight train)
Shanghai July 2nd- July 6th
Hangzhou July 6th-July 8th

I would be particularly interested if anybody has done a similar route before. Have I given myself too much time in some places? Not enough in others perhaps? I would love to hear your opinions!
Mar 25, 2008 00:54
  • STR8LINE
Your plan sounds reasonable....but you can catch few more overnight trains,save couple of days and fit lets say one more destination.... check google for Qingdao or Taishan or Putuoshan..... May I suggest a day trip to Zhouzhuang from Shanghai....or visit Louyang(Shaolin and around...) Have fun!
Mar 25, 2008 04:03
sounds very tiring. haha. but like what STR8LINE said, you can squeeze in a couple more hospots on your itinerary. like Shandong for example, really good place to go to.
Mar 25, 2008 05:32
  • APAULT
A bit hectic for my taste, especially as things don't always go to plan here!

I would spend less time in Yangshuo, unless u like tourist bars etc. Tho I do recommend the light show on the lake (Impressions). There are some interesting locations away from the tourist trash, but it all takes time. The newrby town of Guilin is also attractivve.. sure it is a bit touristy but not over the top. I would prefer to stay there. However you cannot do the river trip the diretion you are travelling, it has to be Guilin to Yangshuo.

Any particular reason for Guiyang..... I didn't find much there.... but maybe others will correct me on that.

I would spend more time in the Chengdu area rather than Chongqing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Chongqing natives' like Jabaroo, challenge me on that!

Hope that opens up the discussion for u and others a bit.
Mar 25, 2008 10:01
  • JABAROOTOO
No Paul,
I was actually going to suggest spending more time around Guiyang and Kaili in preference to Chongqing. Between Yangshou and Kaili is one of the most interesting areas of China, naturally and culturally as is the area between Kaili, Fenghuang and north to the Yangtze river where you could visit Shennong Xi.

Check out some of our reviews on these places and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Still give Chongqing a day since it has the rivers and a very different kind of terrain and remnants of city wall.

Then take a morning or afternoon train or bus (they take about the same amount of time but the new train is very convenient).
to Chengdu only a day or so here too and head west to Wenchuan or Maerkang for another taste of a different cultural region

There is also a twice daily luxury bus from the Mariott or Hilton hotel which is pretty much the same price as the public bus. Worth taking. Leaves 9.00am and 3.00pm roughly
Mar 26, 2008 11:46
  • IDEOLOGY
A heartfelt thanks for all your replies folks! I am going to process all the suggestions a little further, chop a day from Chongqing, probably avoid Guiyang and try to make it to inner mongolia, a place ive really wanted to go but didnt think i had the time. I'll post back when I update the itinerary so in the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger 'I'll be back'

Thanks again!
Mar 29, 2008 09:26
  • IDEOLOGY
Hi,

I was wondering. Would the areas around Longsheng, Sanjiang and Kaili be good spots to visit the Miao people? Ive read a bit about their populations and im intrigued!
Mar 31, 2008 02:26
  • ELLYSE
Yes.
Post a Reply to: Rate my itinerary....
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code