11 hotel xian
12 overnight train to shanghai
13+14 hotel shanghai
15 overnighttrain to guillin
16+17 hotel guillin
18 hotel yangshou
19 overnight train guillin-guangzhou
20+ 21 hotel hongkong

I had a price made by a chinese tour operator for a private tour. I found the price quite high (approx. 5000 dollar for two persons in 3 star hotels), certainly if i compare with the prices of hotels and traintickets online. I'm now looking into going solo, I speak some chinese so this should not be a problem. Booking hotels online does not seem a problem, however train tickets concern me. Booking train tickets online is quite expensive ( for example for the trip shanghai guillin they ask at 30-40 dollars per person extra to normal price.

Please advise if it would be possible to buy tickets only when arriving in china and how big the risk is that we would not find a seat(softsleeper)

Thanks

Mar 25, 2008 05:19
  • JABAROOTOO
Nothing wrong with this itinerary although it is moving quickly.
You could consider a direct overnight bus from Yangshou which will eliminate back tracking to Guilin to catch the train.

Otherwise go directly to Yangshou for one night and return to Guilin for your last two days. This would be a smoother trip. I would even recommend staying two nights in Yangshou and only one in Guiln.

Have a good time
Mar 25, 2008 05:23
  • APAULT
Nothing wrong with the itinery if you prefer travelling on trains to seeing China! I would suggest rather less travel and seeing more in a few locations.

Have you asked TCG for a quote and comment on itinery? Maybe you should :)
Mar 25, 2008 12:56
  • ELLYSE
I might be able to help you out with the train tickets leaving from Shanghai. For much less service charges than you're being quoted, of course.
Post a Reply to: Tight itinary and train travel
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code