Menu
Big problem for China to solve
Mar 25, 2008 14:56
  • GRIZ326
This news comes from McKinsey & Company in a report titled:

Preparing for China's urban billion

"The scale and pace of China's urbanization promises to continue at an unprecedented rate. If current trends hold, China's urban population will expand from 572 million in 2005 to 926 million in 2025 and hit the one billion mark by 2030. In 20 years, China's cities will have added 350 million people—more than the entire population of the United States today. By 2025, China will have 219 cities with more than one million inhabitants—compared with 35 in Europe today—and 24 cities with more than five million people. "

You can find the report in English and Chinese PDFs at this web address:

http://www.mckinsey.com/mgi/publications/china_urban_summary_of_findings.asp

I actually saw this information on another site, but that poster does not come here so I figured I'd make sure everyone had a chance to see this news. When China as a problem to tackle, it's always a big one! :-)
Mar 25, 2008 17:42
  • JOHNFONTANA
Maybe we should tackle it on other political forums. I don't think the admins here like us to talk about political or religious topics.

But in any case, aren't we complaining about too many people, too crowded in China on one hand, and condemning China for having one-child policy on the other hand?
Mar 25, 2008 21:16
  • LLYNN
Any problems will be solved in different ways. The point is how wise and sensible the solver is when facing a more chalenging one.I believe China has its own wisdom and intellengence.
Mar 25, 2008 21:22
  • GRIZ326
I am not complaining or condemning. I do not expect the moderators to find this information too sensitive to discuss. We recently discussed the problems of the aging Chinese society. That said, it is their decision.

The Chinese people and their government are doing a tremendous job overall as they continue to leap forward. They will face huge problems in the years ahead as one of the world's great civilizations modernizes. In my experience, the Chinese do not run and hide from problems (like too many citizens and politicians in my country) they figure out a good course of action and do it.

I am certain that this is a report that Leonardo and and JimmyB will have a keen interest in.
Mar 25, 2008 21:34
  • GARYKINKADE
Just to show my ignorance, was looking on the China map at some cities that I wasn't familiar with and expecting to see a population of maybe 50-100,000 but instead they were 1,000,000+. Wow,Amazing, where have I been? (And beautiful skylines also)
Mar 25, 2008 21:39
  • MARRIE
well gary, i think you find your couterparts as an IT engineer and a global watcher.
Mar 25, 2008 22:48
  • GARYKINKADE
My response was not correct on the thread, it's almost impossible to see a city skyline on a map.
Mar 27, 2008 22:45
  • LEONARDO
Thanks for starting this thread, Griz.

Urbanization and the Aged Society are big problems China will have to tackle. And indeed it is an inevitable process for any countries which are engaging in a transition from an agricultural society to an industrialized country. In China, it is termed "Modernization" which has been formulated by the forerunners of PRC.

The speed of China's urbanization is amazing. At the founding of PRC, almost over 93% belongs to rural population. 1978 Land Ownership Reform accelerated the urbanization. China’s urban population grew by leaps and bounds. By the turn of new millennium, China’s absolute number of urban population has swelled. Well, China’s “Super size” makes its situation unique. Currently, rural population accounts for over 70% of its total population. Some serious problems have emerged. The flocks of migrating workers moved into big cities for better lives and job opportunities has imposed a great burden on cities’ public facilities. (Noticed that they are temporary residents in cities)If more people choose to permanently reside in cities, the problems will be too much beyond that we imagine. Wow, this might be a superficial understanding of “Urbanization”, but it is a popular one. (Ouch, a headache question! I am head-aching. Need a break) If China’s urbanization goes at its current rate, China will have more cities with more than 10 millions inhabitants.
Mar 27, 2008 23:10
  • GARYKINKADE
With China soon to be in an energy crisis (or already is?), how about the idea of developing solar and wind farms in the country(agriculture) areas and provide jobs for those people in that area to ease the migration to urban areas. This might also encourage manufacturing to relocate to that area and provide still more employment to the local people. The only problem that might be encountered (among others, I'm sure) would be the added transportation cost to the manufacturers.
Mar 28, 2008 01:12
  • JABAROOTOO
A couple of comments here
Firstly about the size of cities. During my first year teaching I was telling a class about the BIG capital cities in Australia and one young girl who had also been overseas cut me down to size, letting me know that we actually did not have any big cities while China has thousands of them. many of which I have seen in my travels.

China's energy crisis could in fact be alleviated by reducing a lot of waste in many different areas. Just like many other nations have been forced to realise, we do not have an endless supply of renewable energy and resources so we all need to be more active in conserving them.
Mar 29, 2008 11:57
  • JCNILE123
In the near future exporting population overseas has to be a priority for China, as we speak today Chinese population overseas is over 40.000.000 people
Larger than many countries already.
Post a Reply to: Big problem for China to solve
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code