Menu
Do Chinese kids have a balanced diet?
Mar 31, 2008 13:31
  • RALPHH
Actually it was the incorrectness of your statement 'The kids you have seen are mostly from relatively well-off families in China’s metropolises' that prompted my response.
Mar 31, 2008 21:28
  • LEONARDO
Quote:
>>Actually it was the incorrectness of your statement 'The kids you have seen are mostly from relatively well-off families in China’s metropolises' that prompted my response. <<

Ralphh, I don't figure out any incorrectness in my statement. In order to clarify my point, I have to requote my post:
IMHO, most foreign guests came to China to be impressed with the dazzling prosperity. The kids you have seen are mostly from relatively well-off families in China’s metropolises. They are no doubt well-fed.

My previous response:
Ralphh, you wronged me. I have never assumed that "ALL foreigners have never been out of Beijing or Shanghai". Here is my statement in the my previous post: " most foreign guests came to China to be impressed with the dazzling prosperity." 'Most" is different from " ALL". I admit that where you travelled mirrors the scene of China's romote countryside to a a certain extent. So you do not belong to the " Most" I referred to.

Actually, there is a coherent relationship between the two lines: <<most foreign guests came to China to be impressed with the dazzling prosperity.>>&<< The kids you have seen are mostly from relatively well-off families in China’s metropolises.>>
Every year, thousands ( or millions) of foreign friends comes to China, but how many of you have visited the remote rurual areas, I wonder. Now that most of you have never been to remote rurual areas, so my conclusion is correct: the kids you have seen are mostly from well-off families in China's metropolises. I said "mostly" not "exclusively/only".
Apr 1, 2008 01:01
  • JCNILE123
Most foreigners that travel to China love to go and go to the Chinese countryside.
If we are to go to the cities mostly or only, we will not care to go to China, in fact we have great metropolises and cosmopolitan cities, perhaps better and more sophisticated in many cases than the ones in China, with a rich history and taste.

((dazzling prosperity))????? Compare to what?
Apr 1, 2008 16:33
  • RALPHH
Yes Leonardo but you did not say 'the kids they see' or 'the kids they have seen', as one would if referring to 'most foreign guests'.

You said 'the kids you have seen', as one would if referring to previous posts on the thread.
Apr 1, 2008 21:10
  • LEONARDO
JCNCLE123,

>>Most foreigners that travel to China love to go and go to the Chinese countryside.
If we are to go to the cities mostly or only, we will not care to go to China, in fact we have great metropolises and cosmopolitan cities, perhaps better and more sophisticated in many cases than the ones in China, with a rich history and taste.<<

Yes, perhaps most of you who travel to China love to go to the Chinese countryside, but how many indeed ended up with visiting the real backward rural areas. Except few brave backpackers, the majority failed to realize the dream due to various factors. Travel agencies provide few tour routes to the rural areas( Following a tour group is a popular means of travelling to China for foreigners). Additionally, in rural areas, the transportation is backward and the road is bumpy and muddy. Actually, few foreigners have finally accomplished the wish to hike to the backward Chinese countryside. My friend worked at an travel agency who organized tour groups for foreign guests. He told me that every year most of the foreigners who traveled to China chose the more renowned destinations like Yangtze River Cruize, Shanghai, Beijing, Sanya Sea Beach. If you don't believe, you can start a thread inquiring your fellow expats about the destinations they have visited and gathered your statistical evidences.

>>((dazzling prosperity))????? Compare to what?<<
Compare to its backward scenes in the relatively isolated rural areas.

Ralphh,

If you read the posts carefully once again, you will find my conclusion is relevant and correct both logically and rationally. Yes, I said 'the kids you have seen', not 'the kids they have seen'. Based on the the posts prior to my first response, four foreign friends ( Ralphh, Griz326, Garyinkade, Canadaguy) had replied to the original thread. After I read between the lines, my initial assessment is that most of you ( 3/4) have accessed to China's remote rural areas and the majority of the destinations you visited is in China's cities instead of countrysides. In consequece, I chose the second-person pronoun " You", since I was talking to the foreign friends like you and others. Hopefully, I have made myself clear and understood.
Apr 1, 2008 21:40
  • JCNILE123
Leo, I have to say that perhaps you are right, It don't matter how far we travel we never can know everything about China.

I do not know everything about America and I been living here all of my life.

I can learn to understand China better, thanks’ to your input.
Apr 6, 2008 21:21
GUESTWANNAKN... Thanks for all your inputs. Now I have a better understanding of China. I appreciate you guys' knowledge.
May 6, 2008 06:38
GUESTJOKE Well nature is what it is
Aug 26, 2009 04:16
GUEST04154
Quote:

Originally Posted by LEONARDO View Post

Indeed China has been doing a great job although it still has numerous problems. Since Premier Wen Jiabao took office, he has taken a lot of measures to lessen the burden on Chinese farmers: scrapping the agricultural tax, implementing nine-year free education and setting up rural health care in rural areas, etc. All these measures are of great ben...

Thanks for your information. I am doing a research on China's Agricultural Policy.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do Chinese kids have a balanced diet?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code