Menu
sunrise and sunset at the wall?
Mar 29, 2008 09:31
  • IDEOLOGY
Hi,

I ws just wondering whether it is easy to organise a overnight trip to the great wall. Arrive in the afternoon, stay for sunset and stay somewhere close by, close enough to be able to climb back up the wall for sunset?

Am I mad!
Mar 29, 2008 10:45
  • JABAROOTOO
Try Huanghuashan
Easy to get to by public bus and there is a lot of new accommodation in the village beneath the wall. Very few tourist or at least that was the case when I visited there in summer 2006

See what the others have to say
Mar 31, 2008 02:27
  • ELLYSE
I think it's just Huanghua, not Huanghuashan.
If you Google for "overnight Great Wall" or similar, you should be able to find some leads.
Mar 31, 2008 11:15
  • BARONTWANGLE
You can also try Jian Kou, which is only visited by the locals. There is however a confusion, as there seems to be 2 seperate places called Jian Kou, and they are only differentiated by their Chiense characters. In Pinyin it's the same! I first went there with a local Beijinger, but then tried to go back by myself the following year. I got the bus to Muyun, and then got in a taxi and told the driver to go to the Great Wall at Jian Kou. I was feeling all pleased with myself, until we arrived at a place called "Jian Kou" which was certainly not the same place I had been to before. After lots of confusion, I ended up having to call the friend who originally guided me there, and after an hour of driving back to Muyun and out the other side, we eventually arrived at "Jian Kou"! The one you need to go to has a farmhouse where you can stay for 12 yuan per night (that's not a typing mistake!). From there, you can walk to many parts of the wall for sunrise. The closest part will take you about 25 mins. The furthest part about 2 or 3 hours. It is beautiful there. I am a professional photographer, and I have a couple of photos of Jian Kou on my website (www.image-m.co.uk). You won't see any tourists there, and hence no souvenir sellers! Bliss! It's an amazing experience to sit on the wall and watch the sunrise all alone. I might be able to dig out the phone number of the farmer if you really want it? I have it somewhere.

Apr 2, 2008 09:00
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes Ellyse,
It's not Shan but something like Huang Hua Cheng 黄花城

and have a look at this forum I stumbled on for a bit more information
http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13113
Post a Reply to: sunrise and sunset at the wall?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code