Menu
Why do Chinese English learners have difficulty with he vs she?
Mar 30, 2008 15:20
  • GRIZ326
I know this has caused a few disconcerting moments in my romance, but in paying attention I noticed that my gal frequently refers to her father and her brothers as "she' or "her" rather than "he" or "him." Since I first noticed this, I have realized that it is common for many Chinese English learners.

Why do Chinese English learners have difficulty with he vs she or him vs her?

Is it because the Chinese language does not use pronouns? Is gender less commonly used in Chinese?

I may be teaching English in China in another year so this might be useful information for me.

Mar 30, 2008 20:14
  • LEONARDO
Chinese language uses pronouns. The singular form of the third-person pronouns is " 她" (she/her) and " 他"(he/him). In Chinese pinyin, the two words(她,他)have the same pronunciation: Ta( the first tone). For Chinese people, the difference between the two pronouns only lies in the written form. Orally, there is no difference. We Chinese say "Ta( first tone) when we refer to a third person either it is female or male. It is customary that Chinese people care less about gender in oral language. In consequence, when it comes to learning English ( paricularly oral English), it is a hard nut for Chinese people to crack.
Mar 30, 2008 21:50
  • GRIZ326
Thank you Leonardo, it seems that you've explained it clearly.
Mar 31, 2008 05:50
I was puzzled with this too, so thanks Leonardo.
Alan
Mar 31, 2008 21:38
  • LEONARDO
Griz & Alan, you are welcome!
Post a Reply to: Why do Chinese English learners have difficulty with he vs she?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code