Menu
What's in your name?
Mar 31, 2008 01:53
  • KATRINA
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." This is the famous quote from Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare. Recently, a psychologist in Britain has decoded the meaning hiding in people's names. Here is the relevant report.

Source: 2008 ireland.com.

What's in a name? William Shakespeare asked in his love tragedy Romeo and Juliet. Success, luck and attractiveness, a survey by an English psychology professor suggests more than 400 years later.
Richard Wiseman, psychology professor at the University of Hertfordshire, said today an online survey of 6,686 people in Britain voted James and then Richard as the names most likely to bring success - along with Elizabeth and Caroline for girls.

Jack and Chris respectively were the luckiest names for males and Lucy and Katie for females, while Ryan followed by James got the vote for attractiveness for men and Sophie and Rachel for women.

Asked about the validity of the survey, released at the week-long Edinburgh Science Festival today, Wiseman told Reuters: "I think it's pretty valid. It's over 6,000 people and the effects are very strong, the difference between the top names and the bottom names are very, very striking, so I think there's something going on."

The least successful names for men were Ryan and Brian and for women Lucy and Lisa.

The unluckiest names for males were Thomas and John and for females Elisabeth followed by Helen.

At the bottom of the attractiveness survey came Thomas and George for men and Jane and Ann for women.

Wiseman, author of "Quirkology: The Curious Science of Everyday Life" said the survey followed a similar look at surnames, where people with surnames starting with letters at the beginning of the alphabet were thought more likely to do better than those with letters at the end.

What about his own name? He said he was pleased that Richard rated high among given names, while with the surname Wiseman "I think I was destined to be an academic."

My friends, do you know what's in your name?
Mar 31, 2008 15:02
  • GARYKINKADE
My name=ignorance, naivete, social poverty and bound for eternal damnation by women. Help!!
Mar 31, 2008 19:46
  • JCNILE123
I just happen to wonder if Katrina believes her writing.
Mar 31, 2008 20:27
  • JIMMYB
"My name=ignorance, naivete, social poverty and bound for eternal damnation by women. Help!!"

Gary, how did you find it out? If having a good name can bring me success and fortune, I will try to change my name. In China, there is a kind of fortune telling-----tell me your name and then I will tell you about your fortune, career, marriage etc. I guess that is why so many Chinese parents rack their brains to find a good name for their kids.
Mar 31, 2008 20:41
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Um... sure. And I am actually an Empress in China in my past life. Don't believe me? Just ask Richard Wiseman. O_o
Post a Reply to: What's in your name?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code