Menu
What places would you recommend for foreigners to visit and why?
Apr 1, 2008 22:28
  • SHESGOTTOBE
They can be small cities or remote places in China. Just trying to do some research. Thanks! ^_^
Apr 2, 2008 01:59
  • ELLYSE
This question is too open-ended.
Apr 3, 2008 05:20
  • DAVEC
No, surely you can recommend 1 or 2 places. maybe because they are your favourites.

When people ask me in UK what I suggest I always tell them same thing. Get out of the cities and experience real China
Apr 3, 2008 14:16
  • BARONTWANGLE
But that is only your personal opinion Dave. Ellyse makes a good point, as without knowing what a person's intetests are, it is not possible to recommend places which they would like. Your suggestion of going into the country might be good for some people, but I know plenty who would absolutely hate that.

What confuses me is that in you seem to tell others to head out of the cities, yet in another thread, you are worried about getting the public bus from Guilin to Yangshuo (which is about the easiest form of public transport I know in China).
Apr 3, 2008 16:12
  • IBAUSSIE
Hey why dont you lighten up Ellyse and Barontwangle,
sure you have more posts than me ,but even i can see the simplicity in the original request.

I am sure you may have plenty of places to recomend for foreigners or anyone interest in going to China.
Seems a simple request,just get over yourselves and suggest a few.You may find that there are people out there that may be interested in reading about your recomendations.

China is a huge country and many out of the way or little known places,which may also be in the cities, may be of interest to people contemplating China as a tourist destination.

I would recommend Huguangyan Maar Volcano Lake park,approx 35klms outside Zhanjiang city. I believe it is one of only three volcanos in the world formed in a way different from all others in the world.Basically by explosion,with the cone formed into the earth instead of atop a raised mound or mountain.. You can walk around the crater rim lake.2.5 klms. A museum and various shrines can be found around the lake.
Peter

Apr 3, 2008 17:22
  • DAVEC
The reason I tell people to get out of the cities is for the experience. In the west we see all the common sights, great wall, terracotta warriors and the bund in shanghai. If we watch tv programme that is what we see, if we buy a book that is what we see, if we pay for guided tours that is what we see.
I believe anyone travelling 6500 miles wants an experience.

As for my thread on bus travel in Guilin Baron. I travel with £10,000 of camera equipment and a laptop, that is my only concern. Most people on holiday have a happy snap camera and no worries.
Apr 3, 2008 21:47
  • ELLYSE
You'll be surprised at the amount of people that I see on the TripAdvisor forums then, they're not really interested in anything that's off-the-beaten-path nor do they know (perhaps for lack of wanting to know) about them.
Apr 4, 2008 01:17
  • BARONTWANGLE
Dave. I am a professional photographer, and my cameras are my life, however, I don't let them dictate which bus I can get, and neither should you. A pickpocket is going to have a lot of difficulty taking your camera or laptop without you knowing! The only way someone will get that from you is by a mugging, and that will not happen. Except now of couse, you have given the date, time, place, value of possessions, and showed your photo online, so you are helping potential muggers, and I am sure they will be truly greatful!

As a photographer, I am not sure why you would travel with a laptop? Seems like a weighty item to have carry around. My camera bag weighs 26kg when fully loaded, so I would never add another 2 or 3 kg to that by putting in an unecessary computer. Maybe you should streamline your equipment, stop advertising where you will be and how much equipment you will be carrying, and start relaxing and enjoy yourself. You have far more risk of having your equipment stolen from your hotel room, than you do while it is with you on a bus.
Apr 4, 2008 01:31
  • BARONTWANGLE
IBAUSSIE - I don't think Ellyse and I need to "get over ourselves". We just don't see the point in wasting our time suggesting the same old places that we suggest to others on these threads all the time. If someone narrows the criteria down a little, then it is easy for us to focus on places which might be of ineterest to them, but when someone asks for any places in China - that doesn't exactly narrow down the list much does it? Some people want nightlife and metropolitan areas such as museums, shopping, etc. Others want to hike through the wilderness, some want to see wildlife, and others are interested in culture. It is just pointless stabbing in the dark, guessing what places might be of interest when the person gives no indication of what they are looking for.

As for your suggestion of the volcano, then maybe it is of some interest to some people, but from your description, if it is sunk into the ground, then surely it just looks like any old lake? Also, not sure where you got your information from (and I am in no way a volcanologist), but I have seen many volcanoes which fit your above desription. Yellowstone would be one.
Apr 4, 2008 03:51
  • ELLYSE
Thanks for backing me up, Baron. I'm sorry but no one would be paying me to write a ton of information when perhaps only a fraction of it would be of interest to the reader. It does take time and effort and I can only afford so much of either, when there's no tangible gain. Sorry, I don't mean to sound arrogant or cold, but that's life.
Apr 4, 2008 18:40
GUEST54109 long paragraphs of whining but will not give one suggestion
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What places would you recommend for foreigners to visit and why?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code