Menu
Datong-Pingyao info needed
Apr 2, 2008 02:37
  • FWSPARANO
Can anyone help me with transportation tips from Datong-Pingyao. I can figure out the general things (city-to-city), but from site to site I'm uncertain. Is there a bus from Yun/gang Grotoes to the Hang/ing Temple? Is it possible to visit the two in the same day? What is the best way to get to wu/taishan from Datong and then to Pingyao? If anyone has any suggestions about any of these areas, I would greatly appreciate it
Apr 2, 2008 12:52
  • ELLYSE
No bus from Yungang Grottoes to Hanging Temple, you'll have to go back to Datong city itself.
I think it would be rather difficult if not impossible to do both in the same day by public transport. If you need to do both on the same day, you should consider taking the CITS tour instead.
Most convenient way of doing these 3 places would be to start with Wutaishan: Wutaishan -- Datong -- Taiyuan (transit only) -- Pingyao.
Apr 2, 2008 21:42
  • FWSPARANO
Ellyse,

Thank you for your advice. It seems the trains from Beijing arrive at Wutaishan at odd hours. Do you happen to know if there is a bus from Beijing directly? Thanks again.

Frank
Apr 3, 2008 10:12
  • ELLYSE
Yes, there is, as I've taken it before. I think it was from Liuliqiao long-distance bus station, near the west 3rd ring road. Nearest metro stop is Gongzhufen.
Apr 3, 2008 11:37
GUEST11150 Thanks again, Ellyse. This makes things much easier.

Frank
Apr 4, 2008 01:16
  • FWSPARANO
Ellyse,

Sorry for all the questions, but getting transportation info for Shanxi is a little difficult and much of the info I've been getting seems a bit outdated. I've taken into consideration that going to wutaishan first would be better, assuming I can get an early start. I've read that there are plenty of places to stay in taihuai that are reasonable. There seems to be only 2 buses from Wutaishan to Datong by local transit, 7:30ish and 20:00ish. Does that sound correct? Saw your name on other websites offering Shanxi help. They are going to make you governor of the Province soon.

Frank
Apr 4, 2008 04:00
  • ELLYSE
There's actually only 1 departure daily, at 0800. Fare is 60 RMB and journey time is 4 hours.
If that timing doesn't work for you, you might consider gathering a group of travellers and hiring a vehicle and driver, stopping at Yingxian Wooden Pagoda and Hanging Monastery enroute. That's what we ended up doing.
Heh I think I would end up as governor of China, not just Shanxi. ;)
Cheers!
Apr 14, 2008 02:03
  • FWSPARANO
Governor Ellyse,
my Shanxi plans have changed a bit and I may just go to Wutaishan and Pingyao, skipping Datong. As i cant seem to find the bus schedule from Beijing to Wutaishan, I was considering going to Pingyao first (the trains to Wutaishan from Beijing leave and arrive at odd hours). Any professional objections to this plan? Do you know offhand if the buses going to Wutaishan from Pingyao arrive at odd hours (too early or too late to check into a hotel)? Thanks for your help. If you're near either of these 2 places this week, I want to treat you to lunch.

Frank
Apr 14, 2008 10:54
  • ELLYSE
Beijing -- Wutaishan buses leave from Liuliqiao long-distance bus station (六里桥长途汽车站) at 0830 and 1630. This long-distance bus station is near the west 3rd ring road, nearest metro stop is Gongzhufen. I previously took the 0830 departure and IIRC it took about 5 hours for the journey.
I don't think there're Wutaishan -- Pingyao (or vice versa) buses, you need to change buses in Taiyuan. IIRC the last bus for Taiyuan -- Pingyao leaves around 1700.
Sorry, I'm only in Shanghai! :(
Feb 6, 2014 13:45
GUESTM. TERESA CAN ANY ONE TELL ME HOW BEST WAY TO GET PINGYAO FROM DATON ?
Im traveling to China soon and I would like to do this trip. XieXie .
Feb 6, 2014 21:55
GUEST8I82 [quote=GUESTM. TERESA,517405]CAN ANY ONE TELL ME HOW BEST WAY TO GET PINGYAO FROM DATON ?
Im traveling to China soon and I would like to do this trip. XieXie .[/quote]

The easiest way is to take train from Datong to Pingyao. It takes around 7 hours. If you take bus, you need to transfer at Taiyuan.
Post a Reply to: Datong-Pingyao info needed
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code