Menu
Part time jobs - is it possible?
Apr 2, 2008 12:46
guest62306 I just would like to ask - is possible to get part-time job in China? I mean, as a student going to China just for holidays (about 2 motnhs..)
Apr 2, 2008 20:10
  • TOMSPENCER
Entirely possible, just not entirely legal. Depends what city you're going to, of course, but in some places there isn't all that much part-time work available, so you'd better try to secure an offer of work before flying out here.
Apr 3, 2008 13:20
GUEST62306 Oh, really? And if I can ask you, don't you have any tips or something, where to look for it? I haven't got a clue ^^'
Apr 4, 2008 23:09
  • ELLYSE
How about telling us which city you'll be in, and what kind of skills you have, to start with?!
Apr 5, 2008 06:00
  • APAULT
Really, the easiest to find work is teaching. if you are only staying 2 months you are only likely to get work with a language centre teaching mostly in the evenings and weekends. Of course it is not legal, tho there is usually little problem for peopel only staying a while. The employer will pay cash in hand and if there are any questions asked, you are working for free to get experience. BUT you have to be careful you are not truly working for free. Chinese employers have little respect for the date pay is due, some delay paying for MONTHS. You should ensure you are paid weekly, if the money is not in your sweaty little hands before the first class the next week...don't continue, just cut your losses, or wait until u r paid.

I think you might find it hard to get work through the agencies which advertise jobs on the net, but try and also search for summer schools (tho they can be real hard graft). In some cities there are always ads for teachers in the youth hostels. I noticed them in Chengdu. In any case staff in the real hostels (not the hotels which put a room or two aside for hostellers) will have contacts. Other fhostellers might also be able to help. The Chinese International hostel site is yhachina.com - it has an English version (sort of) and has a few bugs in it.
Apr 5, 2008 06:28
GUEST62306 Well, the problem is, I'm not native English. That means that I can't think about any school which would like to accept someone like me (I'm native Czech - and what I know, that's not very wanted language).
I am not sure to which city I would like to go, it depends on job offers.
I am not very rich too - I am hoping for earning enough money for staying there (but I don't care if I won't bring any money back).
I am good at working with children, but am able to do almost anything.

uUt thanks very much for tips about paying, APAULT :o)
Apr 5, 2008 08:53
  • ELLYSE
Apault assumes you're staying put for quite a while, not moving from place to place doing sightseeing.
Post a Reply to: Part time jobs - is it possible?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code