Menu
Raising the standards
Apr 24, 2008 20:27
  • DODGER
She,
refer to Alan's reply.
There do seem to be 2 price structures in place. In some cases it seems to be double the local rate.
I don't know if these hotels have sites in English as they cater for the locals.
Sorry I can’t remember the names.
I would suggest though that if tourists are staying there they would be overpriced for what you pay for.
Why not send Alan a private msg to see if his Wife can help you on your next visit.
But you would need to bring your own marmalade though..ha
Dodger.
Apr 24, 2008 22:27
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Thanks, Dodger. ^_^

Hmm… I have read about those hotels that are supposed to cater to locals only because if the government finds out that they are booking foreigners, they are going to be penalized. If so, they might be violating some laws.

Uh… pardon the ignorance but what’s ‘marmalade’ in this context? Sorry, you have to be direct with me or else I won’t be able to connect. :P
Apr 25, 2008 01:01
Uh… pardon the ignorance but what’s ‘marmalade’ in this context?

Dodger is referring to a thread in the ex pats section, where he found it a problem getting marmalade in Beijing.
As for the hotels booking in foreigners, I did think it strange nobody asked to see my passport but maybe they were not worried because I was with Jing.
Alan
Apr 25, 2008 20:54
  • DODGER
Sorry She,
I was referring to another post on the difficulty of getting hold of marmalade in China and also to the fact that you would not get a western style breakfast in one of these Hotels or toast and marmalade.
As to them being reserved for local, I had not really given it any thought until now.
And as Alan has said, I also was never asked for my passport either but they did take Amex.
Just make sure that they don’t book you into a room on the same level as the karaoke bar!
Dodger.
Apr 25, 2008 20:58
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Thanks, Alan! ^_^ Well, no problemo since I don’t eat marmalade anyway. I cannot survive on a Western breakfast anyway. I don’t really know how grown 6-foot tall men can since I can’t. O_o

Ah, lucky you. Cause if I pay double, then I didn’t really save anything. Oh well, I’ll find something. Thanks for the tips, Dodger and Alan.
Apr 26, 2008 19:25
  • BARONTWANGLE
This thread started by discussing lip sync, and has somehow turned into one about Marmalade!
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Raising the standards
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code