Menu
Info Needed: Bus from Nanjing to Qingdao
Apr 6, 2008 15:26
  • DICKGIST
I would be interested in knowing the options for travel by bus from Nanjing to Qingdao. As I notice it is a 12-hour journey, I would prefer an overnight "luxury" coach, if available. Would appreciate hearing from anyone regarding companies, impressions, prices, and personal experiences, if any. Many thanks.
Apr 6, 2008 22:19
  • ELLYSE
If you want comfort I'd rather go for a sleeper train. I doubt most of the buses in China conform to Western standards of luxury.
Nanjing -- Sifang (Qingdao): K294/K295 (1839--0945) 15h06min
If bus, did you want sleeper or seater? I'll quote you all the possibilities anyway. The website says the journey is 8 hours, not 12.
Departures from Zhongyangmen long-distance bus station at 0710 (189 RMB), 0830 (189 RMB), 1030 (189 RMB), 1300 (189 RMB), 1700 (163 RMB), 1840 (204 RMB), 2100 (209 RMB). The departures at 1700 and 2100 are sleeper buses.
Apr 6, 2008 23:37
  • DICKGIST
Thanks so much, Ellyse. Very helpful. I normally prefer trains to buses, but the 15 hours seemed a bit excessive, which is why I queried about the bus possibility. I took an overnight bus from Guangzhou to Yangshuo several years ago, and it was quite comfortable. Single level, and seats that reclined fully, or almost fully. As for seaters, I took one from Shanghai to Nanjing last May that was super comfy... thick padded leather, wide, and really terrific. But again, I normally prefer trains. Maybe I will take a look at the coach at the bus station before booking to avoid unpleasant surprises. Thanks again.
Apr 6, 2008 23:59
  • ELLYSE
Well, there's also the possibility of flying by budget airline Shanghai -- Qingdao. I found it to be a very good bargain considering the time and price. In early November I think the flights were about 400 RMB one-way, inclusive of taxes. Taking a fast D train Nanjing -- Shanghai would only be 93 RMB.
I agree with the nice buses though, sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised. But I suspect that I do a lot of my travelling in China on the less Westerner-travelled routes so the buses are uniformly worse!
Apr 15, 2008 08:21
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Ellyse
Just wondering about the website that you get your bus schedules from. Don't suppose it's in English?????
Have you posted it somewhere for us to reference. I would appreciate knowing where it is since I can probably manage to use it with some help

Thanks
P
Apr 15, 2008 10:47
  • ELLYSE
Jaba: Just use search engines (in Chinese if not English) and you'll get the same answers. That's what I've been doing. No big secret there.
Cheers!
Apr 15, 2008 23:55
  • JABAROOTOO
Ellyse,

I've googled in English and never come up with anything useful and that may be the reason why many others are asking so many questions too.

I have no trouble with trains and planes - they are relatively easy to find out about but the bus transport is so extensive, I have never really looked into it before because I was working on the assumption that schedules were unlikely to be online and I have an LP which covers some.

So my question is for those of us who can only 'google in English'.

"IS THERE JUST ONE WEBSITE WITH BUS SCHEDULES" and does it happen to be in English as well as Putonghua

If there is such a site it would be useful to make in available to all users on the forum. Perhaps there could be a link like the planes and train
Apr 16, 2008 03:31
  • ELLYSE
Hmph! I suppose I should've made it clearer in my last answer that I do not know of any schedules which would be in English...! I don't look for those to start with, so I don't know any.
Post a Reply to: Info Needed: Bus from Nanjing to Qingdao
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code