Menu
Happiness equates with fun?
Apr 8, 2008 01:17
  • ICEBLUE
Do you know the nature of happiness? A lot of people mistaken about the nature of happiness? Is happiness equal to fun? A Hollywood star has ever talked about his?her understanding of happiness and fun.

The author states: "many intelligent people still equate happiness with fun. The truth is that fun and happiness have little or nothing in common. Fun is what we experience during an act. Happiness is what we experience after an act. It is a deeper, more abiding emotion."

What do you understand happiness? Does happiness equate with fun?
Apr 8, 2008 01:22
  • ICEBLUE
(The essay is instructive and profound. I would like to share it with you.)
I live in Hollywood. You may think people in such a glamorous, fun-filled place are happier than others. If so, you have some mistaken ideas about the nature of happiness.

Many intelligent people still equate happiness with fun. The truth is that fun and happiness have little or nothing in common. Fun is what we experience during an act. Happiness is what we experience after an act. It is a deeper, more abiding emotion.

Going to an amusement park or ball game, watching a movie or television, are fun activities that help us relax, temporarily forget our problems and maybe even laugh. But they do not bring happiness, because their positive effects end when the fun ends.

I have often thought that if Hollywood stars have a role to play, it is to teach us that happiness has nothing to do with fun. These rich, beautiful individuals have constant access to glamorous parties, fancy cars, expensive homes, everything that spells "happiness".

But in memoir after memoir, celebrities reveal the unhappiness hidden beneath all their fun: depression, alcoholism, drug addiction, broken marriages, troubled children, profound loneliness.

The way people cling to the belief that a fun-filled, pain-free life equates happiness actually diminishes their chances of ever attaining real happiness. If fun and pleasure are equated with happiness, then pain must be equated with unhappiness. But, in fact, the opposite is true: More times than not, things that lead to happiness involve some pain.

As a result, many people avoid the very endeavors that are the source of true happiness. They fear the pain inevitably brought by such things as marriage, raising children, professional achievement, religious commitment, civic or charitable work, and self-improvement.
Apr 8, 2008 15:35
  • GRIZ326
Having an active life is more fun and satisfying than a sedentary life;
Fun & satisfaction leave a feeling of accomplishment, fulfillment;
Fulfillment leads to contentment;
Contentment leads to inner peace;
Inner peace provides happiness.

:-)
Apr 8, 2008 19:45
  • GARYKINKADE
Well said Griz.
Apr 8, 2008 21:23
  • LEONARDO
Very insightful thoughts, Griz! "Having an active life is more fun and satisfying than a sedentary life." Very impressive!
Apr 9, 2008 23:30
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Some people are just not happy no matter what. It is a choice or a decision, whether conscious or not. If you are determined to have a bad day, you will have a bad day. Happiness is an attitude. Some people, no matter how blessed they are, will always find something to complain about. Some live their daily lives repeating the mantra ‘I am a victim, I am a victim’, walking around with a ‘dagger’ in their hearts and then wonder why they are miserable.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Apr 10, 2008 10:36
  • JCNILE123
Fun is a byproduct of happiness

You can be happy doing something that is not fun to do.
Apr 16, 2008 01:18
  • CHYNAGYRL
I think that fun is not necessary to happiness, but it is an indicator you are enjoying life. ie. if you don't have fun at work day after day, why would you want to stay there? If you don't have fun with your partner, why would you want to spend so much time with them? Getting pleasure out of life is important. There is a big part of life that sucks and is necessary (like paying bills, serious conversations, human conflicts) , but I generally look forward to having good times and good company.

Apr 16, 2008 10:47
  • GARYKINKADE
Have just reread ICEBLUE'S post on happiness and have now realized what a great expose it was.
Apr 19, 2008 11:52
  • CARLOS
Agree, She´s,
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Life is not tomorrow, it is today.

"Happiness is something You regognize after You loose it"

To be happy needs no great fun all the time, only live normal life and enjoy small things in life.
Happiness is smiling child, sunshine, rain, spring, leafs in trees, birds singing, warm hug from spouse. . .

Carlos
Apr 21, 2008 09:17
  • CLAUDIUS
I find the description of happiness very much embedded in Will Smith's The Pursuit of Happyness.

Fun is a state of mind, happiness is a state of life.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Happiness equates with fun?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code