Menu
Oasis Airlines
Apr 11, 2008 09:59
  • BARONTWANGLE
Oasis Airlines has gone bust. This is sad news (especially as I am now stranded in the UK with no flight home!) because it was a good airline which was cheap, reliable, and offered great service (except the ground staff at London who were just idiots) to and from Hong Kong. The current high fuel prices are apparently to blame, which probably means other airlines will have to raise their prices soon. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.
Apr 11, 2008 16:03
  • APAULT
Yes I used them recently too. I know fuel prices are being blamed but I don't accept that. Fuel prices are the same for all operators and they all have a fuel surcharge to cover the rising price.

On each of the 4 flights I used there were no empty seats. Given this and that many of their seats were much cheaper than their competitors', the prices should have been higher.
Apr 11, 2008 17:31
  • BARONTWANGLE
But it was Oasis's plan to run the company at break even level. They were a Christian couple who just wanted to give ordinary people the opportunity to see the world. They weren't interested in making money. If they were, why did they allow children under 12 to fly for free? Other bigger airlines make most of their profit on short haul flights, but Oasis only had 2 long haul routes, and were therefore affected badly by the high fuel costs. Of course, they could have raised their ticket prices, but then they wouldn't be achieving their original goal. It's a real shame.
Apr 11, 2008 22:47
  • GARYKINKADE
They could have raised ticket prices because of increased fuel costs but still would be cheaper than the competitors. Sounds like pressure put on them by the competitors or some internal management problems. Some airline companies here in the States are grounded because of non compliance of FAA safety standards. Not good for passenger convenience, but good for their safety. It's About time the FAA started enforcing the rules.
Apr 12, 2008 01:34
  • BARONTWANGLE
Oasis didn't fly to the US, so it is my understanding that they wouldn't have had to abide by FAA rules. However, they were a professional company with modern 747-400's and happy and enthusiastic staff (which is more than can be said for most airlines). In fact one rule the FAA should introduce is that flight attendants should have to be happy - not the fake American "Have a nice day" happy, but genuinely happy to be doing a good job and travelling the world. That would ground virtually every North American and European airline in business today!
Apr 12, 2008 09:45
  • JCNILE123
Amazing,

Four small USA airlines went in bankrupt with in the last ten days, all but one mention fuel prices as the reason.

Of course, all the four airlines are these low fare airlines.
Apr 12, 2008 13:51
  • DAVEC
Makes you wonder though. Do cheap fares and go under or up the price and stay in business, bit of a no brainer there really.

I have to admit I found Oasis dear when I tried to book, maybe I got a special price. The flight I was planning was £550 through them or £418 with BA.
It scares me that I am leaving from terminal 5 or not if things get any worse and I must admit that the BA staff look like they suck lemons all day cos they are so miserable.
Apr 13, 2008 07:51
GUEST53243 I have used New Zealand and Cathay Pacific from the UK, both cheaper than Oasis at the time and both had happy flight attendants. Cathay Pacific have afternoon return flights from HK, but their inflight entertainment systems are a little archaic.
Apr 13, 2008 08:45
  • APAULT
Yes, Dave, they didnt always have the cheapest, but often did.

Put simply, their business model was faulty. Their costs exceeded their revenue. Thier costs should have been no higher than any other company, they all pay the same for fuel. Of course the larger airlines can carry lossses for a while and force small competitors out, but this was not mentioned as a factor. The owners could see they were losing money and would not be able to continue. With full loads they had either to cut costs (not much scope there) or raise prices. they failed to do so. There creditors should be more than a little grieved.

Post a Reply to: Oasis Airlines
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code