Menu
Hong Kong to Shenzhen to Guilin
Apr 16, 2008 23:30
guest76248 Hello Everyone,

We are going to be in Hong Kong at the end of May 2008 and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience w/ taking the KCR to border, then taking the train from Shenzhen to Guilin. Here's my questions:
1. Is Shenzhen safe to take kids to? I have been hearing some frightening stories and am beginning to wonder.
2. Is train travel safe for a mom and 3 kids? This is why I was planning on purchasing the soft sleeper tickets. I want the kids to take the train so that they will be able to see rural China as well as more developed areas.
3. Is it possible for me to buy the tickets in advance so I can be assured that we will get the soft sleepers?
4. Is it better to get a personal guide or is this something that I can plan for when I get to Guilin? This is a short side trip on our way up North but, we really want to try and make it while we have the opportunity but, we have limited funds.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Alana
Apr 17, 2008 01:15
  • ELLYSE
2) Yes.
3) Yes, apparently.
4) Try asking Alf (yangers.com|alf) for recommendations.
Apr 17, 2008 09:16
  • BARONTWANGLE
Alana.

You will hear many stories about Shenzhen and Guangzhou being very dangerous, but while they might not be the safest places in the world, they are certainly not as bad as the runours make them out to be. Just keep your wits about you and don't allow yourself to be distracted. There will be petty thieves present, and they will probably do a "snatch and run" method, so just don't wear any expensive looking jewelry, watches, etc. 99% of people will be ok, and if you are on your guard, then the remaining 1% won't bother you. The train to Guilin is a nice journey, however, it is all at night, so you won't see much out of the windows. You could also travel hard bed class (the beds are not actually hard!) which is safe, and will provide a more social atmosphere. Chinese tend to be shy, but very warm once you break the ice.

In my opinion, you won't need a guide if you are staying in Yangshuo. English is very widely spoken there, and all hotels will be happy to organise any activities for you.

Good luck.

Apr 17, 2008 10:03
GUEST76248 Thanks Ellyse & Baronatwangle for your input. We are very much looking forward to traveling to Guilin. Would you know if it is possible to book the Shenzhen to Guilin train tickets online; if so where?

Alana
Apr 17, 2008 21:43
  • ELLYSE
There's no official online ticketing for the Chinese train system. Online agencies doing this charge an arm and a leg for it so I never recommend those.
May 21, 2008 01:14
  • LIJIELI
Alana, it is easy for you to buy train tickets from Shenzhen to Guilin, of course, you can buy your ticekts in advance, you have to take 12 hours from Shenzhen to Guilin.
I am a personal tour guide and translator in Guilin, if you need my help, please contact me,
my e-mail is, yahoo.com.cn|coco07742905980
my cell-phone is, (0086)13482372587
I am Coco
Jul 19, 2009 06:20
GUESTRICHARD ni hao, I am looking for a guide to meet us at shenzen when we arrive from Hong Kong and take us by train to Guilin. then later from Guilin to Yangshou. Then from Yangshou to shenzen for us to go back into Hong Kong. if this is something you can help us with please get in touch. I tried to call you but your phone was off.

Richard
Post a Reply to: Hong Kong to Shenzhen to Guilin
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code