Menu
Are you an honest man?
Apr 21, 2008 03:02
  • SUMMERSNOW
No honest man can argue both sides well, says Sophocles.

Are you an honest man? Have you told lies? Does the above-quote mean that an honest man is commonly not eloquent? One of my folks said that an honest man will be bullied by others. Many girls also like the guys who have sweet talks. An honest guy is unpopular. Are you an honest guy? What do you think of being an honest man?
Apr 21, 2008 07:10
  • GARYKINKADE
A good question to ask to some of our politicians
I try to be honest, but it does make one vulnerable

Apr 21, 2008 08:37
  • CLAUDIUS
Honesty has a whole lot of meaning nowadays. To many, it is a 'glass ceiling'.

But being honest is stress relieving, so I think there's lots of incentive to be honest, at least for me.
Apr 21, 2008 10:07
  • CARLOS
I have told many lies in my life. Not serious, but still.
The more years come the more honest I become, I think.

Real liar must have very, very good memory. My grandma used to say that. I think it is true.

So, if stay honest, life is easier then.

Carlos
Apr 21, 2008 15:14
  • GRIZ326
I don't believe people who claim to be honest; that attribute can only be assigned to someone by another person who knows them well.

I believe the comment from Sophocles means that an honest man's honesty would betray him when attempting to make an argument for something that he does not believe.
Apr 21, 2008 17:10
  • JCNILE123
(((I don't believe people who claim to be honest; that attribute can only be assigned to someone by another person who knows them well.)))

(((an honest man's honesty would betray him when attempting to make an argument for something that he does not believe.)))

Inconsistency?

In other words, you, as an individual MOST believe on something long before you can make the claim of been honest.
Other wise the self proclaim honest man will fall short, as the presented argument calls it.

I believe that a self proclaim honest individual shall have the opportunity to prove it, before we can disregard him/her on his words.

So I prefer to see my self on the honest side of human kind, other wise I must join the ones on the other side (dishonest.)

As I wait for the others to title me honest, I take the attribute my self as the one that knows me better.
Apr 21, 2008 21:10
  • LEONARDO
Honesty is a virtue. I have been trying to be honest despite I told lies to my beloved ones. I lied quite often to my mom. Every time when I was deeply grieved, I said to her:" mom, I am pretty fine" when she asked about my situation. Sometimes, I did feel guilty but I still have no choice. In the real life, we have to learn to tell lies. Very often, honesty can make things even worse.
Apr 22, 2008 22:35
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Maybe it is not the lying itself that is bad per se but the ‘ripple’ effect of what a lie can do, ripples that we don’t have a way of knowing and stopping until it’s too late, especially if it is going to involve other people’s lives.

Is it really a wonder why we don’t know what’s being honest anymore? When someone can ‘proudly’ declare to a bunch of faceless netizens about his affair and still thinks he’s being honest, but is too much of a sissy to admit it to his own wife, if we as adults are confused as to the importance of honesty, it makes us wonder if we even have the right to demand honesty from children. Or maybe this is one of those it’s ok if I am doing it to others but not ok if others are doing it to me.
Sep 18, 2008 17:58
  • ALOSTDIAMOND
if people you know looks at your face and you can look at their face.....you do not need to think about this topic.
Post a Reply to: Are you an honest man?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code