Menu
Travel abroad
Apr 21, 2008 21:08
  • CANADAGUY
I am curious to know if you have traveled outside of China and if so, which countries did you visit? Did you enjoy your travel?

If you haven't, is it because you are not interested, or is there some other reason that has prevented you from traveling?

Apr 22, 2008 11:34
  • APAULT
I have travelled to about 25 countries in all, though one or two no longer exist. Originally a Pom (British) I hitchhiked around much of western Europe and a little of Eastern Europe, North Africa, the US and Canada as a student and young teacher. I taught in Papua New Guinea for three years and after, back in Britain, business travel again took me to Europe and the US a few more times. Then I migrated to Australia and travel slowed - why go overseas when you live in Oz, eh? But business took me to NZ a few times and I finally made one trip to Thailand. Of course, I am now in China.

Future ideas include backpacking around SE Asia and an overland trip to Pommieland (Britain) via India to see the relos (realtives). Then when I reach middle age, ie about 70 or so, I will take a slow trip around Oz in a car and caravan (trailer home to north Americans, isn't it).... there are plenty of fish waiting to be caught; squash courts, golf courses, lawn bowls clubs to be visited; and no doubt a few pretty girls on the beach to appreciate and bring back memories.

I have enjoyed all my travel except most of the flying, (hard seat on a Chinese train is more comfortable), and most of my trips to Britain. I have always prefered to camp or hostel and I never really felt comfortable in those plush hotels that went with business travel.
Apr 22, 2008 22:51
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Traveling can be tiring but will leave you smiling at the end of the day. It opens up your mind and challenges your beliefs, which can be good or uncomfortable sometimes.

The best part of traveling is that part when you do nothing but being in a totally unfamiliar place and watch in awe that in this world, there are places that you do not know anything about, places that exist even when you aren’t there.

Someone once said, ‘you do not know anything, until you have traveled.’

“Only he that has traveled the road knows where the holes are deep.” ~ Chinese Proverb

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” ~ Maya Angelou

Apr 22, 2008 23:08
  • LEONARDO
I have a passion for travelling, but I have too much work and schoolings to finish. It's a pity that I am not footloose for the moment. When can I follow the dream upon the journey?
Apr 23, 2008 08:52
  • JABAROOTOO
Canadaguy,
Is your question directed primarily at the Chinese Nationals????? If so, few have travelled outside of China. Many younger people do get the opportunity to travel on short or long term study tours to other countries. Chinese overseas travel is still very much a package deal with only group visas being issued by many of the receiving countries when the guest are travelling in a group on a pre packaged tours.
Only recently has the Chinese government permitted it's nationals to travel to some countries.

Many others of course travel for business and some of the wealthier combine business with pleasure or travel purely for pleasure. Many Asian countries have been popular but Europe, Australia NZ and the US are opening up as are African destinations.

China issues two kinds of passports. I'm not 100% clear on how they work but this is my understanding from what people who have these different kinds have told me.

Private issued to individuals for use on personal travel

Government issued for use by professionals and officials on business or educational trips attending conferences, forums and other international meetings. Individuals issued with this kind of passport cannot get a private passport while they hold these and cannot travel for personal pleasure on this kind of passport.

Anyone got more information on this..............
Apr 23, 2008 11:12
  • CANADAGUY
Hi JABAROOTOO,

Yes you picked up on what I was really trying to say!
When I posted this thread I thought it would be understood
that I was addressing the Chinese Nationals here, and so I didn't say so explicitly.

After I posted the thread I began to see others were interpreting "
outside of China" to mean "apart from my travels to China".

I do appreciate hearing from Paul and the others though to learn of their 'outside of China' travels. :)

I had a hunch that few Nationals would have had the opportunity to travel outside China, but I still wanted to pose the question, hoping that a few might chime in.

I wonder how long it will take before Chinese Nationals have the means and ability to travel abroad freely, on their own rather than in tour groups?

I suppose the answer is at least partly linked to the time it will take China's standard of living to more closely match that of Western nations.

Air travel is certainly booming within China. Pleasure air travel outside of China for Nationals is another matter.
Apr 24, 2008 20:56
  • DODGER
I think it may be still difficult for individuals to travel on there own without being part of a very tightly controlled tour party and would guess that Jab is correct on her assumption about the two types of passports.
My Wife was refused a visa to travel to Oz last year.
I would assume that she was seen as a high risk applicant.
A business associate of mine a few years ago was also refused a visitor’s visa to Oz on the same grounds.
Dodger.
Post a Reply to: Travel abroad
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code