Menu
Differences between Westerners’ parents and Chinese parents
Apr 23, 2008 03:48
guestchinagirl I am a Chinese girl. I want to know what the relationship between western parents and their children is like. I hit on a post at China daily which listed the differences between Chinese parents and American parents. I am not sure if the statements are true. Can some foreign friends help to tell me if the following is real? What is the relation between children and their parents like in the western countries?

1) American parents allow their daughters or sons to go out with their boy or girlfriends as long as they come home at the certain curfew. Chinese parents usually dont approve of having relationship in middle or high school.

2) American parents support and encourage their children at all times while Chinese parents think that criticism is the best love in the world.

3) American parents only look at their children's good side . Chinese parents seem to only see their children's bad side.

Apr 23, 2008 05:16
  • YEMMIE
I think there is some truth in what you are saying, but I believe that most parents, east and west are not quite so extreme. Yes, Americans tend to be more permissive and do not see their childrens' faults as clearly, and yes, from my limited experience, Chinese parents seem to be more critical, but I think most parents on both sides of the ocean are also capable of seeing all sides of their children, good and bad. My parents were more strict than most American parents are today. Prior to WWII, most American parents were stricter, and more critical of their children. During the 1960s, this began to change. Today, most parents are much more permissive and far less critical than before. As for dating, yes, I would say that most American parents will allow their middle school age children to go out with their girlfriends and boyfriends in a limited way, and in high school, they allow their children much freedom.
Apr 23, 2008 06:31
My ex-wife is filipino and is more strict with my daughter than I am, I am more the the way you describe the western parent.
Alan
Apr 23, 2008 21:27
  • SUNNYDREAM
2) American parents support and encourage their children at all times while Chinese parents think that criticism is the best love in the world.

3) American parents only look at their children's good side . Chinese parents seem to only see their children's bad side.

No. 2 and No.3 are somewhat true. Chinese parents stick to the belief:" spare the rod, spoil the child". My parents have always been hard on me. I know it is for my good.
Post a Reply to: Differences between Westerners’ parents and Chinese parents
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code