Menu
Posting Packages to Australia in Beijing
Apr 24, 2008 21:40
  • DESMONDO
I will be on holiday in Beijing for a few days on 29/4 before moving on to Xian.
I am going shopping on 30/4 for some specific items that I have to send back to Australia that day. I was hoping to send them by Express Mail Service from the Hotel as they speak very good English and that makes things so much easier.
I enquired to the hotel where I will be staying as to the cost with EMS to send a 5 kilo package and was very surprised to hear that it would cost over 1000 RMB.
Whilst I expected the Hotel to have a small service charge this is ridiculous.
Can anyone put me straight on this question.
I would be happy to go to a Post Office and do it but I am told that little or no English is spoken and the forms are difficult to fill out because they are in Chinese.???
Apr 24, 2008 22:16
  • ELLYSE
No, the forms are actually in Chinese and French (I don't remember if there's English) as French is apparently the global language for post!
Just go to the Post Office with your stuff, buy a box from them (they're picky about using their own packaging) then send it off from there. It's not difficult for post office staff to figure out what a foreigner with a lot of stuff in his hands, wants to do with them in their post office.
Apr 24, 2008 22:31
  • DESMONDO
Thanks Ellyse.
Do you know the approximate costs.
Apr 25, 2008 02:02
  • ELLYSE
Australia is in zone 4. I hope I'm looking at the right price list, this one is for (特快专递) which I suppose is express delivery.
210 RMB for anything up to 500g, and 55 RMB for every 50g thereafter. So, I guess a 5kg package would cost about 705 RMB.
If you just mail it as a normal parcel I think it would be much cheaper.
Apr 25, 2008 02:10
  • DESMONDO
Thanks again.
I will take your advice and look into normal parcel costs.... unless you know what the costs for normal parcel post/kilo.?
Apr 25, 2008 03:52
  • ELLYSE
Woohoo! I found the English-language page for checking parcel rates to foreign countries! :)
Here you go: http://www.chinapost.com.cn/yyzn/zifei/cx/PriceQuery_Parcel_1_En.asp
It looks like a 5kg parcel to Australia would cost around 424 RMB by airmail, 291 RMB by surface airmail (SAL) and 149 RMB by surface mail.
Apr 25, 2008 04:19
  • DESMONDO
Thankyou.
You are a gem................
xiexie pengyou
Apr 25, 2008 14:52
  • ELLYSE
You're welcome.
May 6, 2008 14:28
  • PETERSEAFORD
just sent two boxes home to melbourne by sea mail.
total weight 19k total cost CY625 including purchase of the boxes .
delivery will take four months
May 7, 2008 00:33
  • JABAROOTOO
Are you still in China???

Thought you went home weeks ago or did you leave it with friends to post on !!!! You must have done some serious shopping!!!!!!!!!

Let's know when they arrive. Probably less than four months. Let's hope so.

And thanks Ellyse for China Post details. It is a big help for us if sites have English available too
Jun 2, 2008 11:03
  • ELLYSE
A few of my friends just posted (seamail) a parcel weighing about 25 kg, back to Singapore. Cost worked out to be roughly 10 RMB/kg.
Post a Reply to: Posting Packages to Australia in Beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code